lifespan of stainless steel chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Clairee

Nov 18, 2013
Nova Scotia
Hello,
What is the "average" lifespan of a stainless steel chimney? I'm not sure of the brand but it's similar to a Selkirk and there's no obvious damage. It's on the outside of the house, was installed around 1994 and used for main heat source (airtight stove) every winter for about 15 years.
Thanks,
Claire

Not to worry with Selkirk Metalbestos SS chimney ( made in Canada) Claire.
4 Selkirk chimneys installed over 19 years with 2 now on their 16th year brushed/cleaned 1x/year.
I have installed other brands of SS wood stove pipe without success medium and short term.
Check for:
Any deformations on the pipe,. joints particularly.
Signs of rust ( SS will rust in salt air, high heat, creosote )
Post cleaning look with strong lights inside the flue
There must be a brand somewhere on the flue....
Water leaks

Good luck.

I would say on average 20 to 25 years but that all depends on how it was treated. I have seen them fail much quicker. It also makes a difference if it is welded or crimped seam. Crimped can let a little water inside the chimney which will hurt the insulation value and eat away at the stainless from the inside out. That is the usual failure we see either that or from multiple chimney fires.

Status
Not open for further replies.