1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Lifting Big Rounds into the Truck

Post in 'The Gear' started by WarmGuy, Feb 29, 2008.

1. wkpoor

wkpoor Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Amanda, OH
    Public Employee, I'm 49 and figure at least 15 more yrs cause I need health ins. and SS isn't available to suppliment my meager retirement till 59&1/2. Man I wish somebody had wised me up in my youth to go get a public sector job.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Jags

Jags Moderate Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern IL
    If that is referring to me, you are oh so wrong. I am privately owned.
    MasterMech likes this.
  3. muncybob

muncybob Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Near Williamsport, PA
    Don't need a public sector job to retire before 60. My uncle retired at 55 and I could have too if my 21+ year job wasn't wiped out by a merger. Still plan to do it when I'm 62 but 55 would have been nicer! Early planning for retirement and watching debt are the keys unless you are fortunate enough to earn 6 figures/yr but even then watching debt is key.

Sorry to derail the thread....but I was actually thinking of this thread yesterday afternoon when I had 2 large rounds left of a big hickory tree. I was tired by then and the truck was about full anyways so I'll go back some other time with a helper or my slitting axe! Did think of maybe parking the truck downhill and rolling them into it.
  4. BrianK

BrianK Guest

Me too. My wife keeps the receipt on her left hand ;-)
  5. Mr A

Mr A Minister of Fire

Loc:
    N. California
    ?
    How are you getting paid? Tree work? I have rolled 'em up a 8' 4x4. My truck has strong racks. I was thinking a ramp, and a winch would work well.
    ScotO likes this.
  6. ScotO

ScotO Guest

Yes I do tree work on the side......use the wood to heat my house and that saves a lot of money, too!