Lignetics vs Somersets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
jrsdws said:
In the never ending search for a better pellet around here, I have found someone with Lignetics (hardwood) for $200 per ton....or $225 delivered. The hitch is that I'd probably have to pay for delivery as the place is about 1 1/2hr drive.

The best I've found at any box stores here are Somersets....which are becoming very rare now. The prices on these are up anywhere from $200/ton to $225/ton. Of course, that's hauling your own.

How do the Lignetics compare to Somersets?

Also, this place is a lumber yard and is pressing their own softwood pellets which are primarily sold as horse bedding. However, he has people burning them too. He says some love them and some hate them. The softwoods are the same price as Lignetics.

I will probably drive up and get like 5 bags of each to try.

Your experiences and opinions much appreciated.

WOW! These cost $330 delivered up here.

titanracer said:
I just picked up a couple of bags of Lignetics (Green Label) today to test. I will be putting them in this afternoon, to test burn tonight. I will give results to my burn, tommorrow. I will be running these on a factory setting of 4-7-1, for the Englander stove that I have listed in my signature. I determine this by the length of pellet. The longer the average pellet size, the higher the 1st number. The 2nd number is determined by how hard the pellets are. The harder the pellet, the more air it needs to burn that pellet. The 3rd number, I never change. It just determines at what temp. the room air blower starts up. They were $5.00 a bag, $215 per ton. They do have the saying: MADE FROM THE FINEST HARDWOOD SAWDUST, right in middle of bag. Here is a picture of the bag & I will give my results, tommorrow.

Here are my results. Started out burning with factory settings of 4-7-1. Had to readjust to 5-7-1. Did this because the fire would burn down to glowing ambers & was afraid fresh pellets beening added, would not rekindle. After making this adjustment, they seem to burn alright. Had about a 6 to 8 inch flame from burn pot. Started stove after cleaning around 7:30pm.. House at that time was about 70 degrees. Went to bed around 11:30pm., the house had warmed to around 77 degrees. Woke this morning to 32 degrees outside & 80 degree temp. inside. House quickly warmed from there to around 85 degrees (Opened windows). Had to turn stove off because it was on lowest setting & heat still rising (87 Degrees). So let stove cool & cleaned to determine how things were burnt. Glass stayed nice & clean the whole burn. Ash in burn pot, no worse then most other pellets burned. The ash was fine & fluffy to touch. Somerset pellet ash seems to be a little heavier & kinda of little crusty. Inside unit had like a dark grayish brown film on everything. Cleaned up nicely though. Most pellets I burn leave like a white grayish film on inside. Had to scrap alittle. What build up that was there, came off easily. No carbon build up of anykind. Overall, they seem to burn good. They are not as quite as hot as Somerset or Hamers. If I would of had them in, this place would have been smokin hot. I would burn these again, with out hesitation. Average burn for me.

Local farm store finally has Somersets and runs the same price everyday all year...no sales....$3.79/bag or $189.50/ton....no breaks for buying more...I tried!!! Either way, I think I'm going to get a couple ton to hoard away as I'm afraid the Menards stores either won't have any or won't lower their price.

Somersets are better burning than ALL of the flavors of Lignetics......I have burned EVERY single one of them over the years! :exclaim: The Somersets are hotter, cleaner and more consistent. Just sayin, don't shoot me for having an educated opinion! :bug:

What the two guys above me said ^^^^^

Somersets!

Status
Not open for further replies.