Like Finding Gold In the Woods.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lcback

Feeling the Heat
Feb 21, 2016
Pennsylvania
I have a neighbor who has graciously allowed me to cutdown anything dead on his 3acre plot. As I drove by I would often notice a tree whose bark was pedaling off. Yesterday I went down and cut it and hauled it all home. I'm thinking it's locust by its yellow color inside and what was left of the bark. Best part is all the small stuff was at 18% moisture. So in not going to split. This is going to be burned next year should be as dry and good of wood as it gets without 3 year oak around.
All the rounds in this picture are from that tree. And there are two garden tractor cart loads of small limb wood not shown. This is a real treat to get. Right now my next years stack is all silver maple and sassafras with a log of cherry mixed in. So this gold colored dry hard wood is much appreciated.
c03dd0c97c3435eab784dc5066770244.jpg381f4cf81f5ec87d453db8689cbc0616.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Free is good, free locust is awesome nice score! Just got ahold of a truckload of locust myself today off the job. Sitting cut off the rightaway we were working on.

Bonus for you and the neighbour ... he has a tidy three acres and you have free firewood!

"Like finding gold in the woods"
Except you didn't have to steal it from a leprechaun. Jackpot score!

Generally bark doesn't peel off locust like that... its hard to tell without any closeups but it looks a LOT like EAB killed ash trees do when the bark starts falling off. Ash can also be a bit yellowish (light yellow)...

I guess it could be ash. I didn't see any tracks though. The bark all peeled off. If I get home today while it's still light I'll take a closer look. But either way locust or ash I'm liking it.

Although it looks like my EAB stock, it could easily be locust to my untrained eye.
Couldn't tell from the pics if the underbark surface has the telltale tracks all over the place.

Great hit regardless, and win/ win for you and neighborguy both. My ash is much darker but according to the
laws of scrounging, the wood must be unwanted by the property owner and on frontage. (one year and a few mushrooms make
it fair game). We have roadside 18" long rounds that are falling apart. I don't get it with so many stovers up here.
That wood is clean and solid. Looks like a free month of 24/7 clean heating. Great hit indeed.

I see stuff along the road a lot. I need a truck so I can just hop out and toss it in. It's usually not primo stuff though. It usually looks pretty punky and some rotten. But I'm sure there is still some solid in it.

Yeah that's the drawback to scrounging as a main source of fuel.
It's like pulling the slot machine not knowing what will come off the ground next.
Luckily some of it is even "new" being this summers' drops. (getting those next summer)
There's plenty of 1-2 year stuff not falling apart and just wet, some w/slime then good to the core.
With the greenery withering the drops are getting easier to find on the positive side.
I used the Stratus for scrounging which actually worked great. Small loads and immediately
processed. The beater truck I picked up makes scavenging a breeze. Pull over, toss, drive home.

Last edited:
Don't think it's ash. Close up of the bark in the tree pic and the very uniform yellow of the rounds says BL to me. Was it hard to cut through?

Don't think it's ash. Close up of the bark in the tree pic and the very uniform yellow of the rounds says BL to me. Was it hard to cut through?

It was tough to cut through the big stuff. I was starting to think one tree Dulled my chain but it still feels real sharp. I went through the limb wood easy. The trunk took almost a whole tank of gas.
The bark certainly looked like locust to me. Real deep ridges. It was mostly all on the tree but once I started cutting it peeled off on big sections.

Yeah bark deff looked like BL to me. Those growth rings deff look like a super hardwood too.

Take a couple close pics of the ends of the wood that will help out.

Reactions: FaithfulWoodsman
I have a neighbor who has graciously allowed me to cutdown anything dead on his 3acre plot. As I drove by I would often notice a tree whose bark was pedaling off. Yesterday I went down and cut it and hauled it all home. I'm thinking it's locust by its yellow color inside and what was left of the bark. Best part is all the small stuff was at 18% moisture. So in not going to split. This is going to be burned next year should be as dry and good of wood as it gets without 3 year oak around.
All the rounds in this picture are from that tree. And there are two garden tractor cart loads of small limb wood not shown. This is a real treat to get. Right now my next years stack is all silver maple and sassafras with a log of cherry mixed in. So this gold colored dry hard wood is much appreciated.
View attachment 187416View attachment 187417

Looks like Elm from the pics. Get us a picture of the bark. Locust comes off in big sheets 12"x12" and usually slippery underneath.

Looks like Elm from the pics. Get us a picture of the bark. Locust comes off in big sheets 12"x12" and usually slippery underneath.

This definitely came off in big sheets. Slippery too. But bigger then that. More like 12x36 or longer.

Yeah bark deff looked like BL to me. Those growth rings deff look like a super hardwood too.
This definitely came off in big sheets. Slippery too
Slimy is good! :cool: Was it a bit stinky under the bark as well? We really need more pics. Split one open and take a good pic of the split face. And a good close-up end-grain pic. ==c

Bark on the one piece in pic didn't look rugged enough for Black Locust- Maybe American Elm - hard to tell the color on my box . The last Black Locust I got was a very bright yellow which faded after a few days. The rounds with the bark off do look like Elm to me also.

View attachment 187416View attachment 187417

Looks like elm burns very hot ,good firewood either way.

Need more pics, especially of the end grain.

This definitely came off in big sheets. Slippery too. But bigger then that. More like 12x36 or longer.

Elm in my area (NCNJ) is usually long gone before the tree gets felled. Its probably locust. Give us a close up of the end of the rounds stacked. Its unmistakable, if you're close enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.