Like George Washington...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dmmoss51

Feeling the Heat
Oct 28, 2013
Michigan
I cannot tell a lie, I did cut down that cherry tree...

6koOLz0.jpg

EDIT: Please excuse the sloppy stacking in the back ground... at least its RED OAK :)

Last edited:
I love cherry, but I just can't get much of it. Not that it doesn't grow around me it's just not where I cut most of my wood.

This was standing dead in my back yard the drought of 2012 really got to it I think. Actually took it down over labor day weekend when we rented a bucket lift to take it down in sections. Finally got around to cutting it up into rounds today... Got about a 10 foot section left to cut up too! but I was done for the day gotta make the wife happy and be ready for dinner on time ;)

Good question just cherry is all I know

So Michigan did get snow. Your stacks look great. The picture makes me feel very festive. I debated with myself using 2 T-Posts for each end of my stacks too. But in the end I was too lazy and cheap. The wood shifts alot when it dries with just one.
My guess on your cherry is Black Cherry. Its the only cherry species to give you wood in that diameter.

Well if you were going to lie you'd have to hide the wood better. Ha!
You might be able to burn that next season if you get it split and stacked huh?
At least you didn't have to haul it far.

Going to try to have it spit and stacked by next weekend... Its going to catch up to my newer oak as far as drying goes for sure

Thanks for the black cherry ID... i think it's the only non fruit cherry we have Around here.

I don't mean to upset the apple, er ugh, the cherry cart, but when I first saw the post the picture didn't show with the post. Now that I see the picture I gotta say that it doesn't look any of the black cherry I have in my stacks. The cherry I have has a more reddish tan heart wood surrounded by a distinct white sap wood. Maybe its just the way I'm seeing it on my computer.

Ralphie you must have looked at it right after I posted... I first tried to upload it from by drop box account but it didn't seem to work so I uploaded it to imgur

I know it's a Cherry and it's whatever is common here in Michigan don't know enough about specific varieties to know for sure which it is. Hard to make out in the picture but the heart wood does have a reddish tint... cell phone picture with snow near dusk messes with colors maybe

I don't mean to upset the apple, er ugh, the cherry cart, but when I first saw the post the picture didn't show with the post. Now that I see the picture I gotta say that it doesn't look any of the black cherry I have in my stacks. The cherry I have has a more reddish tan heart wood surrounded by a distinct white sap wood. Maybe its just the way I'm seeing it on my computer.

Yeah I was thinking the same thing - that's why I asked what type it was. The pic does not look like black cherry but there are many other types.

I will vote for you for President...

So Michigan did get snow. Your stacks look great. The picture makes me feel very festive. I debated with myself using 2 T-Posts for each end of my stacks too. But in the end I was too lazy and cheap. The wood shifts alot when it dries with just one.
My guess on your cherry is Black Cherry. Its the only cherry species to give you wood in that diameter.

The T-posts work nice, plus I can pull them out and put them back in as I use wood/stack more. Notice in the stack that has a significant lean to it, I used the lighter duty ones first and they bend under the weight of the wood. So I upgraded to the stronger ones.

It's not real reddish or pinkish. Might be a wild cherry or hackberry. Nice red oak too.

Status
Not open for further replies.