Limb Wood Vs Split Wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

HandSplit

Dec 6, 2021
RI
I've heard two schools of thought regarding collecting limb wood versus leaving it behind. Wanted to hear some thoughts about whether it is worth it (time and labor) to cut and stack the limb wood versus leaving it behind and focusing on larger rounds to split. I've been burning for a few years and I haven't seen a major difference in burning small limb rounds vs splitter wood, but curious to hear your opinion and experience with it. I'll only focus on saving the limb wood larger than 2". Basically. ..is "the juice worth the squeeze" with limb wood? I'm only burning Oak that's seasoned for a year.

When I am cutting down trees on my property, I personally gather anything that is about 3-4" or bigger, or essentially the size of a small split. I think its well worth the time as it takes seconds to cut them down with the saw, and you save time splitting them. They burn just as well as splits for me, and its less wasteful. Anything smaller than that I leave to rot in the woods (good to have some debris anyways for critters and such).

It all depends on how straight or knotty the limbs are. If they're going to be a pain to stack, then I leave it or I put it on the top of my stacks. I actually think its worth it (no splitting and many times, the limb may be off the ground so I don't need to bend over to cut it). Also have never had any issues with it drying. Dries just fine.

is it worth it? You choose; it's your muscles that do the job.
I don't go below 3" or so, because I like to split it (less bugs under the bark than if you keep pieces round and barked), and splitting stuff (by hand) smaller than that gets to be a bit of a nuisance (maybe this shows my aim is not that good... ).

In the end, anything that dries will burn well. It's btus...
So, if you like it, go for it. If someone doesn't like to deal with it, that's ok too.

I usually keep 3" diameter and larger, but only split those which are 5-6" in diameter or larger. I keep the rounds in a separate pile than my "to be split" pile. I then top off the stacks with the rounds before I top cover.

If it's too thin to split, it usually burns well. If a limb is thick enough to split, that speeds up seasoning.

I burn every round branch I have available, no problems.

Reactions: ReggieT
Growing up we left a lot of the tree behind . . . but we also had well over 100 acres of family land.

These days I scrounge and I don't like to be wasteful so I'll take most anything 2 inches in diameter and up. I figure the tree took the time to grow that branch, I might as well take the time to cut it. Plus: On those wicked cold nights when you need to stuff the firebox to the gills those smaller pieces fill in any gaps quite nicely.

I personally only keep stuff about 2-3" round and up. You don't have to split it so it's the easiest firewood you will process. Just cut it and stack it. Those small rounds help fill those extra gaps on those cold nights.

I once heard that limbwood is more dense, therefore burns better, but not sure if that’s true
That is absolutely true with Pine.

Reactions: MEngineer24
Larger limb rounds are great for overnight burns. I like to line the bottom row with them and put the splits on top. Lasts a long long time that way.

I've heard two schools of thought regarding collecting limb wood versus leaving it behind. Wanted to hear some thoughts about whether it is worth it (time and labor) to cut and stack the limb wood versus leaving it behind and focusing on larger rounds to split. I've been burning for a few years and I haven't seen a major difference in burning small limb rounds vs splitter wood, but curious to hear your opinion and experience with it. I'll only focus on saving the limb wood larger than 2". Basically. ..is "the juice worth the squeeze" with limb wood? I'm only burning Oak that's seasoned for a year.
Limb wood is more dense than trunk wood, on average...that makes it worth a little effort right there IMO

Depends on how much I've hauled home for the year so far. I will cut up any limbs 4" or so and larger. 2-3" I often haul home as limbs...then when time permits cut them down to 32" or so to burn in our fireplace. Fewer cuts to make, burns well in fireplace. For the stoves, cutting the small-diameter limbs down to 16" or so is time- and labor-consuming, and I don't do it. If I have a large stack of fireplace limbs already, I leave the rest to become forest detritus.

3 inches is my cutoff but I always have a stack of smaller stuff for kindling and to use for my top down fires.

I followed a logger for years and burned nothing but limbs from tops...nothing wrong with limb at all!

On my own property (pretty much the only place harvest) I keep everything down to 2 inch, or even less, to a fault. It's probably not worth the effort, and I have absolutely no shortage of big wood around, but I can't help not want to waste it.

I try and burn all rest in the bush immediately. I hate having the limbs and twigs laying around.

Reactions: Dan Freeman
I don't take anything under 10". Then nothing but Red & White Oak, Hickory or Cherry.

I cut the small, 4” and less, pieces to length then use them for my base of my stack, making ground contact. Then as I go through my rows I restack the small pieces and use them for outside fires, or inside for quick hot fires during shoulder season.

When I burned wood I would save it down to maybe 1.5”. It all added up, easy enough to cut it and toss it in the trailer. Also was nice for shoulder seasons when I didn’t want a huge fire.

The small stuff is also good to fill in the cracks when you really want to fill your stove up and it makes good starter material.