limited space to stack wood... show me your most efficient methods of stacking...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I had different amounts each year. The second one was 5+ I think.
I think I have 4+ now.
I want to be able to walk around it cause I have shelves and window.
I have a little pile next to the garage I'm trying to use first plus some of my main pile now has pine.
I have fewer rows this year. I did write it down this year...somewhere.
Trick is using it all. I'm almost resigned to always having some wood in the garage.
Maybe I should've used the pile in the garage first, but I hate snow on tarps.

Danno77 said:
To answer my own question I went beyond the internet and asked Gpa. He says he doesn't know why someone would call it a holzhausen, that means (i might not be giving a direct quote here) "Timber Living" "or living in the woods" He said there are a bunch of towns in Germany with the name of Holzhausen, or sometimes it's in part of the name, and that town often got that name because they were on the edge of the woods. I said that maybe it's plural for Holzhaus, and he said well, I guess it could be, that would make sense. I said I thought it was hauser for plural, and he said it's not always, etc. I don't know German, neither does he, but of the two of us he knows more, so we'll go with that.

he also threw in there that Germans don't live in wood houses, so it wouldn't be too confusing to call them wood houses and everyone would know that you were talking about a pile of firewood. apparently you only live in a wood house if you are a German hillbilly, lol. Glad I live in a brick house.

Holz Hausens are what we Americans typically call the stacks of wood that are stacked in a cylindrical fashion . . . supposedly this is the way many Europeans stack their wood.

Most folks here do not believe the wood seasons faster with a HH, but it does tend to take up less space . . . and more importantly looks wicked cool.

Incidentally, to be correct the term is actually holz miete . . . perhaps you or your grandfather can tell us what that means in German . . . my wife used to speak German (her father was a first generation immigrant), but she lost most of the speaking and reading skills.

If you would like to know more . . . and can read the German . . .

http://www.holzmiete.de/anleitung.php

grandpa says he doesn't know what holzmiete means, but he does know that mietebauernhof is something about renting farm land, so we both decided that it must be something about borrowing wood. That makes sense, kinda, but who knows.

he also told me that Sheitholz means firewood. not to be confused with Sheisseholz, which apparently would be a bad thing to say (unless you get the squirts when out felling trees)- that's my edit, not his. he doesn't think he's ever heard anyone say sheisseholz, and surprisingly my gpa didn't get mad at me when i cursed in German, i don't think I'd try that in english.

I've got mine stacked in the garage (3.6 cords) and I am not using a rack. I just cribbed the ends for support. I couldn't go too high - because doing so may interfer with the opening and closing of the over head garage door.

I do have concerns that my kids don't play on the wood pile - as I don't want wood falling on them. So far it's working out fine.

Sure is convient for bringing wood in for the stove. Cold again in NNJ - so the fire was going again last night. Wood is seasoned just right! I am tickled pink. I wish I had more. Working on next years score now.

Attachments

• ok_045.jpg
    ok_045.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 432
I make my rake 6 ft wide and 8 ft tall to save floor space 2 ft deep 96 cu. ft

I can see seasoned wood in the garage, but there's a ton of water in green wood. A garage is too cold (no sun) to dry it.

I put some of my wood in the garage after it's seasoned outside for the summer. The garage is dry, and the wood keeps drying very well inside.
I just put up a rough wall of 2x4's with some old fence boards to stack against on one end - and the garage wall on the other end. Never saw a pile
fall yet. About 12' wide, 8.5' tall, 3 ranks of odd sized pieces. (This is my living room stove wood supply - odd sized pieces from my furnace cutting,
probably 6" to 16".) I'm careful how I stack it, especially with the varying lengths.
I find that in the dry garage air, my wood fairs much better than the stacks I keep outside in the rain, waiting to be put in the basement wood room.
My wood is down to about 25% right now, and will continue to dry before I burn it this winter. I've got next years already cut - I'm finally a year ahead.
Happy burning.

LOL

I look at Dennis' sprawling outdoor stacks and wonder what part of "limited space to stack wood" that example fits. They sure are purdy looking stacks though. Stacking large quantities in a small footprint will always be a challenge. I have plenty of space for short outdoor stacks like Dennis has but I like to lay up my wood in my shed and I hate stacking twice. If you stack green wood tall, it has a propensity to fall over as it shrinks so I would just heap piles outdoors and then move it to the shed in the Fall. The wood doesn't dry well for me in heaps so there is still significant shrinkage after it goes in the shed and as a result my 9 1/2 foot tall stacks do get precarious. This year I redesigned my shed with slots to hold the row ends plumb and I no longer stack them all in the same direction. I alternate now between stacking three groups of rows N/S and in-filling between them E/W.

I've also resigned myself to stacking twice and now have all my outdoor wood in stacks, waiting for the move to the shed next year. Now this isn't relevant to the OP's "limited space to stack wood" problem unless he has already seasoned wood that is not going to shrink and risk toppling if he stacks it really high.

As for putting green wood inside, my father did that. He had a large outbuilding with earthen floor that was also his workshop. It was disgusting with mold everywhere and when it turned cold there was hoar frost on everything including his tools that were rusting.

LLigetfa said:
LOL

I look at Dennis' sprawling outdoor stacks and wonder what part of "limited space to stack wood" that example fits. They sure are purdy looking stacks though. Stacking large quantities in a small footprint will always be a challenge. I have plenty of space for short outdoor stacks like Dennis has but I like to lay up my wood in my shed and I hate stacking twice. If you stack green wood tall, it has a propensity to fall over as it shrinks so I would just heap piles outdoors and then move it to the shed in the Fall. The wood doesn't dry well for me in heaps so there is still significant shrinkage after it goes in the shed and as a result my 9 1/2 foot tall stacks do get precarious. This year I redesigned my shed with slots to hold the row ends plumb and I no longer stack them all in the same direction. I alternate now between stacking three groups of rows N/S and in-filling between them E/W.

I've also resigned myself to stacking twice and now have all my outdoor wood in stacks, waiting for the move to the shed next year. Now this isn't relevant to the OP's "limited space to stack wood" problem unless he has already seasoned wood that is not going to shrink and risk toppling if he stacks it really high.

As for putting green wood inside, my father did that. He had a large outbuilding with earthen floor that was also his workshop. It was disgusting with mold everywhere and when it turned cold there was hoar frost on everything including his tools that were rusting.

thanks for the heads up...
i did ahve mold on my wood, but that was because it was in wood bins that had closed sides all but the top.
it is now stacked.
the wood was cut over 4 years ago and split a month ago...
i am getting amoisture meter soon, but thus far i have only had 2 logs that appeared to be wet and hiss out moisture.
also creasolt buildup has not been too bad at all(evenw ith this being my 2nd week burning, so i had a learning curve)

btuser said:
I can see seasoned wood in the garage, but there's a ton of water in green wood. A garage is too cold (no sun) to dry it.

who says the garage is cold

Status
Not open for further replies.