Liner at top of chimney - to secure or not to secure

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

cycloxer

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Jul 9, 2008
Worcester County, MA
So I am looking at different top cap designs for my chimney liner. Do you want the liner secured at the top or do you want to let it float for expansion? I have seen one design that incorporates a band clamp to secure the liner and another design that is simply a pass thru for the liner so that it can move up and down.

You always secure the liner at the top plate. If you have one that doesn't have the band to tighten down on the liner you use three or more sheet metal screws through the top plate sleeve into the liner. It supports the weight of the liner and also holds it in place when you brush it at cleaning time.

Yeah that's what I thought. Securing makes sense. If you don't and for some strange reason it came loose and went under the top plate, that could be a bad situation. One more question, do you have to seal the liner to the cap with stove cement or hi temp silicone or is that not necessary?

You don't seal the liner to the cap. That would make it a royal pain to get it off each time for cleaning. I highly suggest that you purchase a liner kit that has band connections at the stove adapter, top plate and for the cap. Makes life much easier and most liner kits have that now.

Sorry, I meant do you seal the liner to the top plate around the circumference of the liner? I already have a custom top cap that I installed over my chimney flue a few years ago and I put it on with Tapcons and L brackets. It has it's own easily removable stainless side screws. I sealed my top plate to my chimney crown under this with hi-temp silicone and Tapcons. My plate didn't come with a clamp so I can either float it or secure it with a few screws. I just wasn't sure if you are supposed to seal between the liner itself and the top plate sleeve and what to use if you do.

I have attached a picture of my existing top cap and the top sealing plate I plan to put underneath. I have it attached temporarily w/ some sheet metal.

Attachments

• Liner at top of chimney - to secure or not to secure
    top cap.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 188
  • Liner at top of chimney - to secure or not to secure
    chimney cap2.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 180
Status
Not open for further replies.