Liner examples I've noticed seem to stop short

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pro5oh

Aug 19, 2008
downeast Maine
I'm planning on relining my flue this month. I've noticed alot of examples run the liner down to a tee and stop... leaving another 5ft+ down to the cleanout door unlined. With this setup how do you clean the creosote out? Should I continue my liner past the tee and continue down to my cleanout door and use another tee or 90 so I can access the creosote after cleaning?

There shouldn't be any creosote between the T and the cleanout door until you brush the chimney. Then it should all fall down and not stick to the sides of anything. Plus there's no hot gases in that area to ignite any creosote that my drip and run down in that area. Maybe I'm just not picturing what you have very well in my head.

Two ways to do it. One is that you get a liner long enough to reach down to the cleanout door. Then you cut a piece of it and attach it to the bottom of the tee and then use the tee cap to cap the piece down by the cleanout door. The second way is to just install the tee and the liner and then stick a shop vac hose through the thimble into the tee and vacuum the crud out when you sweep the chimney.

I recommend method number two.

Status
Not open for further replies.