1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Liner is too small ?

Post in 'Classic Wood Stove Forums (prior to approx. 1993)' started by jmack, Dec 10, 2012.

1. jmack

jmack New Member

Hi all new here and I'm in need of help. I have a 9 tube free flow wood stove and I just recently installed a stainless liner in my chimney. I ordered a 5.5inch insulated liner as this was the biggest I could fit in my chimney. I can't tell what is going on. I can only run the stove with the front damper bearly cracked. If I try to turn it up the stove starts to chug and back puff. From reading all I can tell this is usually caused by lack of draft or too wet or too dry of wood. I've experimented with different wood to no effect. Which leaves me with bad draft. Which is really heart braking because I can't come up with any way to fix this short of buliding a new chimney. This is my only heat and a fire temp of 300-350 isn't going to cut it when it's 0 outside.

Thanks for any help

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. chimneylinerjames

chimneylinerjames Feeling the Heat

The 5.5" liner will reduce draft a little but it shouldn't be significant. Every setup is different. How tall is the chimney? What is the stove pipe setup?
  3. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    9" inch down to 5.5" inch is necking it down way to far. What stove are we talking about here and as James says tell us about the chimney setup. Height, type of connection from the stove etc.
  4. chimneylinerjames

This is a 9" outlet on the stove"? You always need to use the same size liner as the flue outlet on the stove.
  5. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    OK. Now I get it. You have a nine tube Bullerjan stove. The exhaust on that stove should be five or six inches max.

[​IMG]
  6. chimneylinerjames

Ok this makes more sense, I thought 9" sounded a little crazy. What an interesting style stove.
  7. jmack

jmack New Member

Ok it's a 30 ft chimney that is made of red brick and had a clay tile liner that failed the I'd was 11.5x 6.75. My stove has a 6inch pipe that necks down right at the stainless liner.
  8. jmack

jmack New Member

The most confusing part is I can run the stove with the door open an inch and get just the performance I need. It's just when I shut the door all hell brakes loose.
  9. geoxman

geoxman Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    STL City
    I always did like the look of those stoves. With a 30ft chimney I would bank on the fuel being too wet. JMHO and where are you located?
  10. jmack

jmack New Member

I'm located in Maine it has been warm too. only lows of 30 this week.