Liner project, or, Why Is Granny on the Roof?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm using it now without any insulation, but I would like to get as much of the pour-down stuff in it as I can. Just haven't gotten around to buying or ordering it yet.

Stove is working fine. What do you think? There's not much room in the flue. How much difference could it make? The clay flue liner seems just about bombproof. I'm thinking on this some more before I actually get the stuff... Decisions, decisions...

Nancy

Loose fill perlite doesn't cost much (I think I got it for about $13 for a 4cuft bag) and should fill in all the voids around the liner. As for how much it will help, I'm not sure. Certainly can't hurt though. That said, I ran my liner in only the clay flue for 2 years before I added the perlite.

Of all the threads on this forum, I would have to say that this is probably the best I have seen and most enjoyable to read.
Thanks for sharing.

PopCrackleSnap said:
I'm using it now without any insulation, but I would like to get as much of the pour-down stuff in it as I can. Just haven't gotten around to buying or ordering it yet.

Stove is working fine. What do you think? There's not much room in the flue. How much difference could it make? The clay flue liner seems just about bombproof. I'm thinking on this some more before I actually get the stuff... Decisions, decisions...

Nancy

I think this just comes down to whether you want to bother with it for a very minimal gain. For your situation (IMHO) the more important factor is is a well sealed top-cap. The reason I say this is for gaps less than an inch, air is a pretty good insulator itself.
I commonly see Perlite rated at R-2.7 per inch. If your liner is perfectly straight & centered in the flue (that'd be a trick) you'd theoretically get 1/2"= R-1.35 all around it. A 1/2 inch air gap would give you about R-1.0 1/4" air gap would be something like R- 0.7-0.8

BrotherBart said:
If you want the tee on the snout ya gotta call her out; Lorraine
To get the liner down, down in the ground; Lorraine
She don't, she don't climb, she don't climb; Lorraine

When the liner is done and you wanna have fun; Lorraine
When you're having a brew and a cookie to chew; Lorraine
She don't climb, she don't climb, she don't climb; Lorraine

Do you write for Eric Clapton? :lol:

Todd said:
BrotherBart said:
If you want the tee on the snout ya gotta call her out; Lorraine
To get the liner down, down in the ground; Lorraine
She don't, she don't climb, she don't climb; Lorraine

When the liner is done and you wanna have fun; Lorraine
When you're having a brew and a cookie to chew; Lorraine
She don't climb, she don't climb, she don't climb; Lorraine

Do you write for Eric Clapton? :lol:

It just so happened that I was listening to some Clapton when I came in and checked out the forum. Of course the habit of changing words to songs has been a habit of mine since I was ten. When I hear a song I hear different words with the tune. I should probably write for Al Yankovic.

midwestcoast said:
I think this just comes down to whether you want to bother with it for a very minimal gain. For your situation (IMHO) the more important factor is is a well sealed top-cap. The reason I say this is for gaps less than an inch, air is a pretty good insulator itself.
I commonly see Perlite rated at R-2.7 per inch. If your liner is perfectly straight & centered in the flue (that'd be a trick) you'd theoretically get 1/2"= R-1.35 all around it. A 1/2 inch air gap would give you about R-1.0 1/4" air gap would be something like R- 0.7-0.8
Would that only apply if the flue was air tight though? I can tell you that with my liner, it was not air tight. The top plate is sealed to the crown, but there is a gap where you clamp the top plate to the liner.

ikessky said:
midwestcoast said:
Would that only apply if the flue was air tight though? I can tell you that with my liner, it was not air tight. The top plate is sealed to the crown, but there is a gap where you clamp the top plate to the liner.

If the top of the chimney around the liner is stuffed with insulation that pretty much takes care of that.

True, and I guess that is a step that I really didn't take. Nor did I have the hole around the t-snout sealed up very well (just some rope gasket stuffed in there. This year, I mortared around the snout, dumped in perlite, and then stuffed rope gasket between the liner and the top plate adapter so that the perlite couldn't come out. I'm very interested to get this year kicked off and see how everything goes. I can honestly say in the couple burns I've done so far, the stack temp seems to be coming up quicker than in the past two years.

Methinks Brother Bart has become the official POET LAUREATE of Hearth .com. This particular thread has become a joy to read. Now what should the "PELLITZER" prize be??? PS. BB, I installed the deluxe terra cotta chimney cap you suggested. It took me all of ten minutes to do. Perhaps that is what Lorraine needs. Warren :roll:

I would definitely pour it in there. It will only help...

There once was a poet named Bart
Who really excelled at the art.
He wrote stuff for Nancy
That tickled her fancy
And she tried to respond in kind but she couldn't think of too many nice words that end in -art!

------------

Wow, you guys and gals have been super. It almost makes me want to do the install all over again. Not!

My three dogs have stopped giving the stove puzzled looks and have claimed spots nearby to bask in the warmth.

Life is good...

Nancy

PopCrackleSnap said:
And she tried to respond in kind but she couldn't think of too many nice words that end in -art!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Ha, you ain't seen nothing yet. Wait till you see BroB stand on his head on a beer glass. Now THATs entertainment. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.