Liner project, or, Why Is Granny on the Roof?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nancy, is the clay flue still intact in your chimney?

good job ladys!

congrats and I can't wait to see the pic.

pen

Awesomely done !!!

Congrats !! It must feel like a job very, very well done !!!!

jumping-smiley-001.gif

What did Lorraine have to say about the whole experience??? ;-P

Still haven't taken that shower, but I did put the stovepipe together and set a fire a coupla hours ago. Wow, that thang just keeps on a keepin' on. My thermometers are showing right around 350 on stovetop and stack. I'll go up some more tomorrow on the next burn. And a third... And by then they say we'll have snow here.

I'll let this virgin fire go cold and go up on the roof tomorrow to prettify things. The liner is still sticking out the chimney by about two feet. Gotta whack that off and put on the cap, etc.

My first fire is just about the prettiest thing I've ever seen. I used two splits of the locust I found on Craig's List, plus a little kindling. It didn't do all that much until I added the third split, and then look out! I had dinner (spaghetti, garlic bread) in front of the fire. Not too shabby. I'll mix in some of my own oak on the next fires.

Thanks for your support and the fine information. I'm off to a good start here, and I'll be chiming in on conversations as the spirit strikes...

The only reason I tried this myself is that I figured out what I needed to do by lurking here for a few weeks.

Main thing I learned? A 6" liner with the insulation batt will NOT fit inside a flue pipe that's 7" square. Don't even think about it...

I showed this post to my Wife in hopes she would get up on the roof and install a liner in my chimney while me and the boys watch a football game, but it looks like we'll be doing it instead ;)

Bill

"Nancy, is the clay flue still intact in your chimney?"

Ike,

It's all solid except for the very bottom, where there's a crack about 3/4" wide that you can see when you look thru the basement wall. It's a couple of feet underground, so I wouldn't think it would pose much of a problem. I mean, it wouldn't catch the ground on fire... duh.

My insurance company wants to know that the liner is properly installed, but all my agent is going to do is take a picture of the stove now that it's hooked up. They did not insist that I have it done professionally...

Knowing what I do about the chimney, I'm not at all concerned that I'm going to burn my house down.

But, you were saying...?

What stove do you have hanging off the end of that liner?

"What did Lorraine have to say about the whole experience???"

She never has a lot to say. She's a stubborn, bull-headed German who won't take no for an answer. Hey, knowing that, I recruited her for the basement detail. I ain't as dumb as I look...

"What stove do you have hanging off the end of that liner?"

It's a Pleasant Hearth from Lowe's, 1800 sw ft, with elec. blower...

Weather guy says low around 20 tonight, so it was high time I got it in.

You go ladies!!!! I am 55 years young (male) and just finished with relining my chimney. The whole time I was working on it with a friend I am pretty sure the better half was not real certain that we should be trying to tackle this on our own, but that's just her. And I agree, someone should be video taping this or at the very least taking pics to post. Enjoy the cold ones when you are done.

Have you two ever thought of goihg into business? I am sure there are a few of us here who would hire you, for at least pizza, beers and mileage. :)

Firefighter,

You live in NW Iowa, and I went to the University of Iowa in the early 60s (go Hawkeyes!). So there you have it... We can do anything!

This is the first year for the Pleasant Hearth stoves. Keep us posted on how it does for ya. I highly suspect that they are being private labeled out of what used to be the CFM Century Hearth plant.

Awesome story to come home to. You go gals! You're an inspiration. Keep us posted with pictures of the installation. And let us know how that new stove works out for you.

Trying to post three photos, but the directions don't seem to be all there...

Downloaded Picasa, selected photos, changed their size, but...

Save for web ??? Do not see that. See Sync. Izzat it?

Tried to attach photos but am told file size is too big.

Been messin for an hour and I 'm tired.

Can someone send me Photos For Dummies in plain English, pls?

Thanks, Nancy

You go girls!

Nancy, if you don't want to mess with picasa, you can post the pics directly to this thread from your 'puter. Craig has a thread explaining the detail
Linky: https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewannounce/27_2/

And I am gonna throw my hat in the ring for a report on that new stove of yours. WHOO HOOOO!

Thanks, Jags. Of course, I didn't read all of the links in the how-to sticky note... Let's see now...

Attachments

• Liner1.jpg
    Liner1.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 264
  • Liner2.jpg
    Liner2.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 279
  • Liner3.jpg
    Liner3.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 295
I guess an explanation would be helpful. First pic is the liner at the point at which it stopped cooperating; second one is Lorraine at her post; third is yours truly with the liner down the flue.

Today I cut off the excess and attached the topside hardware.

Had a fire this evening approaching 600 degrees, just to see what that was like and to break her in. Opening the door to add some odd pieces, I found out what an ant feels like when a kid with a magnifying glass takes aim.

Nancy

Congratulations on what looks like a super job. How lond did it take you? How about some photos of the stove? We are all wondering what your next project will be. Warren ;-)

outstanding! Well done.

pen

Hi, Warren,

Thanks. It took us just under two hours.

You never know what my projects will be. Earlier this year I remodeled a backyard cabin into a small dog kennel with three indoor runs and four outdoor runs. I opened for business in August and was busy up until last week. There's a lull now, but some of my "regulars" will probably be coming for the holidays.

Last year I worked as a field researcher for the University of Michigan on a national survey that basically asked 15- to 44-year-olds about their reproductive lives.

Before that I did a lot of home building with Habitat for Humanity, including four weeks in New Zealand. While I was "in the area" I also went to Australia for three weeks. My avatar photo is me at The Olgas -- a huge rock formation within sight of Ayers Rock (which is nine miles around; I know, I hiked it).

Nothing like a little variety to spice things up a bit.

Nancy

Nanc, I think you'd be an asset around here... welcome to the forums !!!

Nice job !!!

If you want the tee on the snout ya gotta call her out; Lorraine
To get the liner down, down in the ground; Lorraine
She don't, she don't climb, she don't climb; Lorraine

When the liner is done and you wanna have fun; Lorraine
When you're having a brew and a cookie to chew; Lorraine
She don't climb, she don't climb, she don't climb; Lorraine

Did you pour any insulation down around the liner or just leave it in the clay flue by itself?

Status
Not open for further replies.