liner question?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ccmac

Burning Hunk
Jan 1, 2014
Indiana
I am wanting to place a liner in my pastor's chimney in the next few weeks and the inner diameter of the clay flue measures 6.26 inches x 10.5 inches. The stove is an Alderlea T5. Total length of chimney to base of stove is approximately 15ft.

What are my options for a stainless heavy flex liner (size wise)? I'd love to insulate the liner but is that even an option with such a small flue. Will a 6 inch flue even fit his liner with only a 1/4 inch to spare? If I went with a 5.5 inch liner would that be significant in how well the stove performs? Do they even sell a appliance reducer/expander from 5.5in to 6in? I ask cause I never even heard of one?

Any help is appreciated.

You can come off a t at the bottom of the liner with a 6" stub. How are you planning to install this? In an old fireplace? In front of one?

Will a 6 inch flue even fit his liner with only a 1/4 inch to spare?
Nope not gonna fit even bare. You need to ovalize or break out the old liners. As far as going to 5.5 you would have to ask pe if that is ok.

He has an old metal free standing fireplace/stove. I say fireplace because it only has a chain along the front, no door or glass, just a chain drape. Stovepipe comes off the top and angles back into a masonry thimble and out the flue.

So do you think a 5.5 inch liner might fit? I looked at the ovalized and was kinda shocked at the heavy price!!! Yikes! I don't need much pipe but total cost was almost $1300.00

No, never thought of that. We don't have any building code in my area. It is a rural area of South Western Indiana. I have built two homes in the last 15yrs and never even had an inspector around. We do still try and maintain code despite this but never are inspected. It's nice.

Church parsonage is where this stove is going. I have contacted Pacific Energy and am waiting on their response regarding a 5.5 inch liner with this stove. I may need to bust out the old liner, never done that but sure I could with the right tool.

Update: Okay so I called woodland direct and they priced me ovalized 316ti pipe with cap, tee, ect..., for just under $700. Expensive but still better. It is approximately 5inch by 8inch. It is the Easy Flex, not sure how good that is. bholler and others mentioned the heavy flex in another thread as being what they use so I am a little concerned this stuff won't be as durable but too late now, I bought it. I anticipate it arriving in about a week.

Status
Not open for further replies.