Liner question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deron

Nov 3, 2009
Northern Kentucky
It's been confirmed my problem is either one of two things.

A. A cracked or damaged clay liner

or

B. Cracks in stone/mortar in the double chimney.

When I burn the smell of smoke is heavy upstairs, but with no actual smoke present, been told that is due to one of the above.
Already ruled out C. which was smoke traveling back down via the upstairs liner.

My question is, if I can get a SS liner installed through my offset, will the liner contain most if not all of the odor problem?

My wife is adamant about not being able to smell smoke upstairs.

Yeah, it would contain any new smoke. If you have existing creosote, that can still heat up with a liner and create a smell/hazard. I would NOT burn anything in that chimney until you had it cleaned and an insulated liner installed. If you cant do that, dont use it

Franks said:
Yeah, it would contain any new smoke. If you have existing creosote, that can still heat up with a liner and create a smell/hazard. I would NOT burn anything in that chimney until you had it cleaned and an insulated liner installed. If you cant do that, dont use it

+1, but after cleaning, have the sweep run a camera down to see what condition the flue tiles are in...

Had one local sweep tell me my problem is thermosiphoning. The clay liner come up and are side by side
about a foot and a half apart. I placed a rubber roofing liner patch over the upstairs liner to keep the
smoke/heat from being siphoned back down. Still have the same smell.

The thermosiphoning would have to take place outside at the exhaust right?

We just bought the house in June and the previous owner and subsequent home inspection confirmed
very little use of the fireplace and little to no cresote buildup.

I'm thinking cracked clay liner or shoddy/deteriorated masonry inside the double chimney.

Would a SS liner solve the odor if it is a problem inside the chimney?

You need a sweep who can inspect the entire clay liner with a camera do figure out the exact problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.