Liner Seperation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Beer Belly

Minister of Fire
Oct 26, 2011
Connecticut
Not sure, but I think I may have a seperation in my Liner. It is a Flex Liner in a Clay Tile Masonary Chimney. When I did a sweep in the Fall, and noticed about half way down the brush would loosen up, then tighten back up about 2 feet later, and the same on the way back up.....I didn't think it was possible, and haven't had a chance to shine a light down there since it was now clouded with Ash. The question(s).......does it sound like a seperation ???.....and what kind of problems can I expect if I continue burning without repairing the seperation ???......

I am assuming the liner is stainless steel, correct?

Are you burning coal? or was coal ever burned in that chimney?

How long has the liner been installed?

I can tell ya it's that corragated, flexible liner.....installed 5 years ago....last cleaned by a chimney sweep last fall (2011) and decided to do it myself this past fall and didn't think much of it till now. Never burned coal, but was questionable wood up to this season....which seems to be much better wood. I'm thinking that there could be some build up of stuff ( ash, or Creasote) between upper and lower section of liner and the flue tiles....just wondering if there is any real danger, or damage being done ?....may not be able to afford to re-line at this time.....will try to shine a 500 watt work light up there this weekend

If you think possibly the liner is broken or separated, it is dangerous to use. I would inspect the liner before having another fire. If the chimney liner was only installed 5 years ago it should have a warranty of some sort, whether thru the factory or the installer.

If this liner is connected to a wood burning insert, there is NO WAY you could have a two foot gap. The liner cannot possibly move that far. If you run from a tee to the cap, the tee would have fallen off the allow that much movement & you would have a drafting problem. When I burned my Regency 3100, & cleaned the chimney myself, there were sections of the liner, especially near the top, where the brush seemed to encounter more resistance than others. Drop a light down to be sure, but for very thin walled material (.006") those liners are pretty durable stainless steel...I sincerely doubt you will find anything has come apart, but please let us know.

Reactions: BrotherBart
I doubt you have a seperation, definatley shine your light down the liner and see what you see, It may be more work but you might want to remove your baffle and look up as well. Im with Bob these things are strong as heck. I have a couple tight spots in my liner an a couple not so tight, I can see most of my liner looking down and up and theres no issue. Good luck and let us know what you find.

Status
Not open for further replies.