liner thickness

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Billy123

Mar 5, 2011
PA
OK, Liner thickness can be .005 or .006.

Which and why?

heavier gauge would always be better.?.?. I would think for a liner.

Shawn

shawneyboy said:
heavier gauge would always be better.?.?. I would think for a liner.

Shawn

Not much difference between .005" and .006" in my opinion.. Quality is the important factor here particularly in the seams of flexible liners this is why I was sold on the Ventinox liners as their seams are welded not crimped.. I am sure there are lots of good crimped liners on the market that bear the UL rating..

Ray

Assuming you're talking flexible...
I don't recall the numbers, but when I did this, I was surprised that the price was the same for both sizes. Like Shawney, I figured that thicker is always better. But I found it to be difficult to flex. This was not a problem for my short chimney, but if you intend to unroll it as it goes down, (as seen in a popular avatar here), you might want to consider the thinner gauge.

Just my limited experience.

316 stainless will hold up to heat much better than 304 stainless.

304 is good stuff but 316 is better!

My Simpson liner is .006"

The company I buy most of my liners from will sell a .005 or .006 liner for the same price. If I know I need a bit more flexibility I will go for the .005.

What I look at more to judge quality of a liner is the components (appliance adapters, tees, top plates etc.) You can tell a lot by those.

Status
Not open for further replies.