liner woes...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dvto2

Nov 14, 2011
Northern CT
My masonry chimney tiles developed a long crack and it was advised I put in a liner. There is an angled jog in my 22 foot chimney and me and my buddy can't get the liner down the last 4 feet past the angle. He's pulling on a rope and I am trying to feed it from the top. He's a plumber/heating guy and is suggesting I smash out one or two cinder blocks on the outside of the house, and part of the chimney tile, to finish working it through by hand. He assures me it's easy and safe but I am nervous to do this and was wondering if there are some suggestions others might have to get the liner through. It's a stove only chimney with an 8 inch horizontal tile at the bottom, so it's not easy to do much more from the bottom other than pull the rope attached to the nose cone on the liner, and even that's awkward through the 8 " horizontal tile.

Ya don't pull it through the horizontal. You use a tee and snout to handle the horizontal thimble.

My masonry chimney tiles developed a long crack and it was advised I put in a liner. There is an angled jog in my 22 foot chimney and me and my buddy can't get the liner down the last 4 feet past the angle. He's pulling on a rope and I am trying to feed it from the top. He's a plumber/heating guy and is suggesting I smash out one or two cinder blocks on the outside of the house, and part of the chimney tile, to finish working it through by hand. He assures me it's easy and safe but I am nervous to do this and was wondering if there are some suggestions others might have to get the liner through. It's a stove only chimney with an 8 inch horizontal tile at the bottom, so it's not easy to do much more from the bottom other than pull the rope attached to the nose cone on the liner, and even that's awkward through the 8 " horizontal tile.
Sounds like you should just listen too your buddy.

I assume you getting it around the fireplace and can't make the second bend unless you trying to get it through the thymbol, which I assume you are using a tee. It's nice too assume things. You might find a cool old Narragansett can when you open it up.

Ye
I assume you getting it around the fireplace and can't make the second bend unless you trying to get it through the thymbol, which I assume you are using a tee. It's nice too assume things. You might find a cool old Narragansett can when you open it up.
a, we are going to use a T but can't get the liner down to where it will meet the T. And yea, the bend is probably somewhere near where the upstairs fireplace is.
Yea we are planning on using a T but can't get the liner down to where the T will meet it. And yea, I think the bend is near where the upstairs fireplace I,as this is a double chimney.

There are times we need to open up a chimney from the outside in order to get through an offset but be careful of how much and where you cut. It can be done safely but you need to understand the masonry structure and where you can cut without compromising the structure.

There are times we need to open up a chimney from the outside in order to get through an offset but be careful of how much and where you cut. It can be done safely but you need to understand the masonry structure and where you can cut without compromising the structure.

Now my buddy is hooking me up with a mason. Probably a good idea.

Last edited by a moderator:

dvto2 Member

My masonry chimney tiles developed a long crack and it was advised I put in a liner by people on the forum. There is an angled jog in my 22 foot chimney and me and my buddy can't get the liner down the last 4 feet past the angle. He's pulling on a rope and I am trying to feed it from the top. He's a plumber/heating guy and is suggesting I smash out one or two cinder blocks on the outside of the house, and part of the chimney tile, to finish working it through by hand.

I had a mason come over who has done years of chimney work and to look at the job and he said, "only a thin six foot crack, maybe I can just patch it up". He's going to look at the crack tomorrow.

I have this liner 3/4 of the way down my chimney, does it make sense to pull it out and just patch up the crack or is it really worth it to put crush some block and get this liner into the chimney.

Yes it is worth it how would you possibly path it in a way that it would hold up?

first off how would he get at it and seconly when that liner heats up and expands that mortar in the crack will either fall out or be pinched and cause more cracking

He may well have trouble reaching 6 feet down my chimney. I'll ask him about the cracking.

Are there benefits to having a liner that would make it worth the trouble of putting out in even if the crack could be fixed?

well the crack cant be fixed correctly for one and yes to will get better draft it will be easier to clean and it will be safer especially if you insulate it

Well no I take tat back there is a product called heat shield that is a liner resurfacing product but you need to take their class and become a certified installer and it takes a bit of equipment also. That would work but not diy and I think a liner is a better option anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.