Liners and chimney extensions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jon1270

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2012
Pittsburgh, PA
www.workbyhand.com
I'm continuing to plan the possible installation of an Osburn insert and the relining of my tile-lined brick chimney. I've been looking at flexible liner (DuraFlex) and rigid liner (DuraLiner), trying to make sense of the costs and benefits.

One issue I have to handle is that the existing chimney is centered on the gable end of the house, and extends only 17" above the ridge so I need to add 19" to that height. One approach seems to be to use the Duraliner, leaving 19" of the pipe sticking up above the base plate. I'm a little concerned about how that would look -- thoughts on that, anyone?

Flex liner appears to be around $500 cheaper, but I don't have a clear idea of how best to add an extension to a chimney lined with flex pipe. I saw some decorative chimney pots mentioned in a few threads, but they all seem to be substantially taller than I need. Also, not exactly cheap.

Jon, I have a couple samples left of the chimney extensions that I could provide at the right price!

You could use them with either type of liner..these are cast aluminum and very lightweight and easy to install...and they look good.

If you are interested, let me know the size of your flue tile - I assume you are going to use a 6" ID liner?

If you are interested, let me know the size of your flue tile - I assume you are going to use a 6" ID liner?

Well, I am curious. Yes, it would be a 6" liner. The flue tile is 13x13.

Something like this might be able to extend 15" or more from the flue tile top.....
These are going to be selling for $350+ soon (new stock arrived at new company), but I have a few that I would sell for $160 plus shipping. You would run the pipe right up inside of it and well up into the screened area, kept in place by a sheet metal ring that can be made to fit inside the top part.
PT1212wbase.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.