Liners

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Autorotate

Apr 16, 2014
Phila
After all the help on here, I am set to have the HearthStone Manchester installed on the 19th. I was getting a couple different opinions from a few different installers.

The house had an existing wood burning stove when it was built in 1979. There was a single piece of piping that went through my walls and out of my roof (Ill include pictures). I was informed that this was an old method and an air cooled pipe. There was no insulation I was told from the photos I showed them.

I had a couple places tell me I had to use all new 6 inch insulated piping (Secure Temp Asht+). Then I also had a couple places tell me that I was able to have a 6 inch stainless steel liner put down through the old 8 inch piping.

I am a complete novice to this as it will be my first stove. Is there one method better than the other? Can someone school me on this? Thanks!

Photos are of the old piping and a pic I found of the old stove when the house was built. LinersLinersLinersLiners

So it goes through the wall and then up? not the best option and the chimney looks pretty beat i would put in new

With pretty heavy corrosion on the exterior part I would go with new stainless. I would bet the stuff that is showing heavy rust to be quite weak.

Thank you. I have to sort this out. I was under the impression that the new "chimney cap, flashing, liner, etc." meant an entire new pipe.

Thank you. I have to sort this out. I was under the impression that the new "chimney cap, flashing, liner, etc." meant an entire new pipe.

a liner is not a new chimney it would just go down inside your existing chimney and if that existing chimney fails which doesn't look far from happening your new liner would be worthless to you. I would recommend pulling out the entire system and installing a new insulated chimney system.

So it goes through the wall and then up? not the best option and the chimney looks pretty beat i would put in new
What would you do, go straight up? Or would you have to see it first to make that decision?
So the pipe goes through the wall with a 90, comes out and makes another 90 up, where that support bracket is? I don't have bholler's expertise, but it sounds like it might be cheaper to use what you've got to house the liner. You'd have to make sure about clearance specs of the old system, quality of installation, and weather that pipe is still sound. If money's not a big concern it probably would be better to re-do the thing from scratch. Insurance would be a consideration...

a liner is not a new chimney it would just go down inside your existing chimney and if that existing chimney fails which doesn't look far from happening your new liner would be worthless to you. I would recommend pulling out the entire system and installing a new insulated chimney system.

I am realizing that this may be my best bet. I am hoping that my estimate was for the new chimney and not just a liner. If not, I am thinking the extra $ would be worth it in my case. I was assuming when they said, "that includes the new chimney cap and flashing" meant that it was new pipe and not just a liner. This was a direct dealer for the stove and I showed them the same pictures. I would hope they realized this......

Do you think it would be safe if it was a new liner with the liquid insulation surrounding it?

Well it could be same if the existing chimney is in decent shape and there is no liquid chimney insulation. The reason not to do just a liner is the fact that the liner will only be usable as long as your existing chimney is useable and by the looks of it it will not last long. I really feel that a liner would be the wrong decision And besides i am not sure how you would deal with the bottom you would have to add a tee to your existing chimney to get through that wall

Reactions: Autorotate
Status
Not open for further replies.