Lining chimney with concrete rain cap

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 31, 2015
Rockport Maine
The masonry chimney in our recently purchased house has a concrete weather cap over the flues. We'd like to install a woodstove in front of the fireplace, attached to a liner in the fireplace flue. My question is how to get the liner into the flue? We consulted a local chimney professional who said he'd cut a hole in the concrete cap. Has anyone had this done? Any other suggestions?
Chimney1.jpg

either cut a hole for access or take it off for the install we do both

Hi all, I'm in an identical situation. Bought pre-existing house with similar cap. Only difference is I'm looking at a FP insert. I've heard of a few different options in speaking with stove shops:

1) Cut hole in cap, install line through it and put new metal cap on end of line on top of bluestone/concrete cap.
2) Take the concrete cap off for install and leave off after install. Put metal cap on top of liner. (And presumably the other flue too)
3) Feed liner from below. One store was open to try this and the other was not...unfortunately I'm looking at a Jotul that is only available from the latter store.

To me, a nice concrete cap seems like a higher quality long term solution and better cosmetically but that's just my impression and I don't have experience with it. But thinking that way I would prefer bholler's suggestion to reinstall the slab afterwards.

Is there some other option. Or is there a downside (other than extra mason work cost) to remove the slab and put it back after liner is installed?

Chuck

We have pulled them up from the bottom on occasion. It's not too bad, unless it's really tall..
I'd want them to try before they took it apart.

Status
Not open for further replies.