lining double brick chimneys

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shakey

Oct 5, 2014
Detroit
I just acquired a used Quadrafire Isle Royale.

My chimney was cleaned and inspect by some chimney sweeps a few years ago and it did not take them long. I asked them what I needed to do to prepare the chimney for venting a wood stove. They said nothing, it's double brick and in good condition, just drill a hole above the fireplace mantle, run the stove pipe into the hole and seal it up with refractory cement.

My house has a huge 3-flue brick chimney in the middle of the house and it is in fact double brick, but without a fireclay liner. The house was built in 1906 in Detroit. The fireplace's flue (the one to drill into) is double brick.

The manual for the Isle Royale specifies a fire clay liner in a masonry chimney, but says nothing about double brick. Here is the language:

• The masonry wall of the chimney, if brick or modular block, must be a minimum of 4 inches (102mm) nominal thickness.
  • A chimney of rubble stone must be at least 12 inches ( 305mm) thick.
  • The chimney must have a fire clay flue liner (or equivalent) with a minimum thickness of 5/8 inch (16mm) and must be installed with refractory mortar.
  • An equivalent liner must be a listed chimney liner system or other approved material.
The whole manual:

http://hearthnhome.com/downloads/installmanuals/250_5763.pdf

I don't want to spend money on something I don't need. Do I need to line the chimney with one of those flex stainless steel liners?

Yes.

Not only for safety/code/insurance, but also for optimal stove performance (great stove, BTW). Without even knowing the flue dimensions, I can assure you it is too large for best results.

Your sweeps must have been old-school, because code requires clay or ss, and modern stoves need right-sized flues. The liner can be run up the flue from the fireplace (easier and more commonly done), or by drilling the hole as mentioned.

Welcome to the forums!

Actually if it is lined with fire brickThat is an acceptable liner material but like branch burner said i am sure it is over sized so regardless you will need a liner and you should insulate it as well

Will you be burning this winter? Have seasoned wood? (less than 20% moisture reading on fresh split).

The Isle Royale is a great heater, but you will get much better performance with an properly sized insulated liner and well-seasoned wood. Otherwise, any modern wood stove is going to give you some frustration, poor draft, creosote, and not much heat.

Status
Not open for further replies.