Lintel Depth

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

heydan

I'm trying to figure out if an Avalon Olympic insert will fit in my fireplace and I'm confused about the lintel depth requirement. The most confusing thing is that one brochure I've seen refers to "Max. Lintel" and "Lintel Depth" which sounds like it's specifying a maximum and another brochure refers to "Minimum Lintel Depth" which definitely refers to a minimum. Both brochures give the same numbers. See for yourself:

This one refers to "Minimum Lintel Depth":

http://www.usageothermal.com/pdf/AvalonWood.pdf

And this one refers to "Max. Lintel" and "Lintel Depth":

http://www.avalonfirestyles.com/TravisDocs/98800152.pdf

Which is right? Are the numbers listed (which are the same in both brochures) a maximum or minimum? And why are they different if the stove is extended on the hearth than if it's not? How do I get an accurate measure of my lintel depth anyway? What harm would it do if the lintel were not the right depth?

it sounds maybe stupid from my side.

If it is a critical measurement, I personally would not rely on a brochure/PDF file. Double check-Double check.

A call to the Manufacturer would probably be appropriate.
I'm sure you will have in no time a valid and correct answer.
Just read that little note on the bottom of the document: Avalon reserves the right to alter or improve its products at any time without notification
My 2cents.

Just my $0.02... The lintel got in my way when installing my insert. The collar on the top of the insert wasn't back far enough to connect the chimney liner because the lintel got in the way. Solved the problem by using an offset adaptor. So, as long as you have enough space between the top of the insert's collar and the bottom of the lintel, you could use one of these to make the connection. Keep in mind that the adaptor will affect your draft, and it may make it more difficult to clean the chimney.

sixminus1 said:
Just my $0.02... The lintel got in my way when installing my insert. The collar on the top of the insert wasn't back far enough to connect the chimney liner because the lintel got in the way. Solved the problem by using an offset adaptor. So, as long as you have enough space between the top of the insert's collar and the bottom of the lintel, you could use one of these to make the connection. Keep in mind that the adaptor will affect your draft, and it may make it more difficult to clean the chimney.

Excellent information, thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.