LISTEN TO YOUR MOM!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jklingel

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Oct 23, 2007
Fairbanks
Mom told me 1,000 times: DO NOT RUN THE LOADER WITH THE LIFT ARMS UP! I thought I'd catch this tree before it fell and push it into the proper channel.... Dang, the hole the stump left was not too bad, but w/ the arms up high.... How do you spell "dumb sh&$" ? Ok, mom, I hear ya....

Attachments

• leaning loader, front view, small.jpg
    leaning loader, front view, small.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 446
You are lucky it was a smaller skidder/cat !
Why is it we only hear 'that little voice in our head' after it starts to tip ?
No harm- just embarrisment.

Nofossil: Nice presentation. How in the hell did that tractor roll there? Pulling at an angle? Looks fairly flat, but photos do that.
Wild: Yes, to whomever or whatever one may attribute the circumstances, it turned out to be a painless (embarrassment aside) way to "hopefully" learn a lesson. My neighbor rolled his Bobcat several yrs ago, working on an incline. Too bad he also had a large stack of wood burning free downhill, and when the Bobcat rolled the GASOLINE (an old one) spilled from the tank and ran down to the fire. Needless to say, he bought a new machine.

jklingel said:
Nofossil: Nice presentation. How in the hell did that tractor roll there? Pulling at an angle? Looks fairly flat, but photos do that.
Wild: Yes, to whomever or whatever one may attribute the circumstances, it turned out to be a painless (embarrassment aside) way to "hopefully" learn a lesson. My neighbor rolled his Bobcat several yrs ago, working on an incline. Too bad he also had a large stack of wood burning free downhill, and when the Bobcat rolled the GASOLINE (an old one) spilled from the tank and ran down to the fire. Needless to say, he bought a new machine.

...and new shorts, probably.

The tractor photo is from a stability research program that some university did. There's a very small concrete 'rock' just behind the tractor. They made some great training videos - it's amazing how little it takes to roll a piece of equipment like that if you get just a few things wrong. I have a Ford 1710 with an oversized bucket. You really want to keep the bucket low. On uneven ground, I drive with one hand on the 'drop it now' lever.

Status
Not open for further replies.