Little cabin needs wood stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

tinyorchid

Jul 13, 2023
Montana
Hi All,
I have a 655 sq ft log cabin, less than 500 sq ft foot print, the rest is loft. I do have a ceiling fan.
It is time for a new wood stove. I live in NW Montana, winter can get down to minus 40, mostly temps are 40F down to the teens in winter.
The logs/firewood I get are between 15.5 "- 17", that leaves out the Jotul 602, as it will not take that long of logs.
I am considering the Morso 2B Standard 2020. Does anyone have experience with this stove?
Are you happy with it?
Is it efficient for my small space and temps?
I am not finding much personal experience for this stove on line.

Or would you recommend a different stove?

Thank you so much for your thoughts and advice.

I'd go larger, especially if the cabin is stone cold on arrival. Look at 1.5 to 2.0 cu ft stoves. The Drolet Nano is an affordable heater the has a box design like the Jotul F602 but in steel. The True North TN20 would also be a good fit.

Reactions: tinyorchid
I'd go larger, especially if the cabin is stone cold on arrival. Look at 1.5 to 2.0 cu ft stoves. The Drolet Nano is an affordable heater the has a box design like the Jotul F602 but in steel. The True North TN20 would also be a good fit.
Thank you for your thoughts, will look into that. I live in the cabin, so never stone cold. Also have a little wall heater that I use to keep it from freezing.

Are you planning on leaving the cabin on occasion ? Work perhaps? Supply runs?
If so, how long will you be away? This may have a significant influence on what stove is really required. Food for thought.

Are you planning on leaving the cabin on occasion ? Work perhaps? Supply runs?
If so, how long will you be away? This may have a significant influence on what stove is really required. Food for thought.
Sure, I go to town sometimes, could be gone all day. Mostly work from home, home quite a bit. I leave the electric wall heater on 55F, so it never drops below that. But use wood heat for main heat daily.

I started out with a Jotul 602 in my 600sq ft log cabin with a 200 sq ft loft and it did the job even at below zero weather but burn times were short with the colder weather so I upgraded to the Jotul F45 and it fits the bill nicely.

Thank you for your thoughts, will look into that. I live in the cabin, so never stone cold. Also have a little wall heater that I use to keep it from freezing.
You can always make a smaller fire, but the larger firebox will provide heat for longer when it's cold and heat is really needed.

I started out with a Jotul 602 in my 600sq ft log cabin with a 200 sq ft loft and it did the job even at below zero weather but burn times were short with the colder weather so I upgraded to the Jotul F45 and it fits the bill nicely.
Thank you, good to consider. I think i need something that will take a slightly longer log and burning longer would be ideal.

Reactions: Jemari
You can always make a smaller fire, but the larger firebox will provide heat for longer when it's cold and heat is really needed.
I think I will go with a larger firebox for your mentioned reason. We can get -24 F for a week sometimes.... longer heat would be most welcome.

If you want a cast iron stove, consider one with a cast iron jacket. The Jotul F45 and the PE Alderlea T5 are two options worth checking out.

If you want a cast iron stove, consider one with a cast iron jacket. The Jotul F45 and the PE Alderlea T5 are two options worth checking out.
Thank you, I will check those out. I just read: cast iron constructed stoves which meet the forthcoming 2022 Ecodesign emissions regulations are quite rare.
I have not researched to see if that is true.

These stoves have a welded steel stove inside with an outer cast iron jacket. This provides the low-maintenance service reliability of a steel stove with the visual look of a cast iron stove. The cast iron also acts as a buffering heatsink that slowly releases heat back into the house as the fire dies down.

These stoves have a welded steel stove inside with an outer cast iron jacket. This provides the low-maintenance service reliability of a steel stove with the visual look of a cast iron stove. The cast iron also acts as a buffering heatsink that slowly releases heat back into the house as the fire dies down.
Thank you for explaining that. This is my first time shopping for a wood stove.

I second the going larger idea, especially in your climate. We have a camp up in Northwest Main and we got there one winter to find that the electric had been knocked out and we rely solely on the wood heat for the first 24 hours or so. Sleeping in 40°. Indoor temperatures is no fun and it took a heckuva long time for the temperature to rise given that outdoor temperatures were about 10 degrees.
In the part of the country that you’re talking about, I can see absolutely no reason to not get as big as stove as you can. Even if everything is going as planned, dealing with temperature is below -20 has got to be a real challenge.

I second the going larger idea, especially in your climate. We have a camp up in Northwest Main and we got there one winter to find that the electric had been knocked out and we rely solely on the wood heat for the first 24 hours or so. Sleeping in 40°. Indoor temperatures is no fun and it took a heckuva long time for the temperature to rise given that outdoor temperatures were about 10 degrees.
In the part of the country that you’re talking about, I can see absolutely no reason to not get as big as stove as you can. Even if everything is going as planned, dealing with temperature is below -20 has got to be a real challenge.
Thank you. I appreciate your thoughts. Due to all the advice here, I am going to go larger. Just need to see what is available in my area tomorrow.