Little John wood splitters

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Danno77

Minister of Fire
Oct 27, 2008
Hamilton, IL
I almost never see wood splitters for sale on CL, but I found a small looking gas powered one that has a honda engine on it and a label that says "Little John."

Anybody know anything about these? Price was close enough to make this an interesting deal. I'll see if I can find the ad again and post the details/pictures.

Great Honda GC 160 motor, works perfectly although haven't started it in 2 years so might need a carb kit, hydraulic pump is good too, but leaks fluid due to piston slightly bent. Brand is Little John, but looks kinda home-modified. Mounted on nice trailer and full size tires used to hold air but one is flat at the moment. Easy fix and priced to sell!

wants $190 for it.

Attachments

• 3me3o93pd5Y45Q15T1b4o0dd691159ce41234.jpg
    3me3o93pd5Y45Q15T1b4o0dd691159ce41234.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 915
  • 3n23k13l15O25U45X0b4o3bffa1090fbd147a.jpg
    3n23k13l15O25U45X0b4o3bffa1090fbd147a.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 1,158
  • 3n73mf3lb5Q15T55X6b4o9bb39d102bf61fdc.jpg
    3n73mf3lb5Q15T55X6b4o9bb39d102bf61fdc.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 922
  • 3o43p23l95T15X15R3b4o15709889fc3f1555.jpg
    3o43p23l95T15X15R3b4o15709889fc3f1555.jpg
    5.4 KB · Views: 913
Looks like an awfully short stroke/range for wood. Maybe get a 15 inch log at best?

Looks like a money pit. By the time you get all the parts to get it going,,,,you could by a new one. Thats a Honda consumer grade motor, had one on a power washer a few years back,,,not impressed with it at all. Would definately pass on it, keep lookin,,,you will find something. Good luck.

If it were really an easy fix, the seller would have fixed it and tried to sell it for $600. Pass.

It would not be for me. I'd pass too.

Hmmm . . . seems like hydraulic splitters have two "pricey" costs -- the hydraulics and the engine to power the hydraulics.

With this splitter the engine is "good" but might need a carb kit . . . and it hasn't been used in two years . . . to me this means the engine is not good.

With this splitter the hydraulic pump is good, but the piston is apparently leaking and may be slightly bent . . . and again . . . to the point apparently where the splitter has not been used for the past two years . . . again . . . to me this means the hydraulics are not good . . . more to the point one wonders what sort of use and abuse this splitter went through to cause this type of damage.

Take a pass . . . most definitely. . . . a good deal is not such a good deal if you have to outlay a whole lot of money just to get this to the point where it can actually work and do its job.

I would have to pass too, if there were some usable parts or even a good frame to build a new one i might consider it.
Keep looking buddy!

ok, fair enough. I'll move on. Still interested in the specs and model, though. I've never heard of one before.

I'll go out on a limb and suggest that there likely was never a "Little John" wood splitter that was mass produced. That thing looks too cobbled together to have been produced by a company. At best it was a kit or DIY plan set, maybe with some stikers./ It could be the hood with the sticker was scavenged off another item.

Danno77 said:
Great Honda GC 160 motor, works perfectly although haven't started it in 2 years so might need a carb kit, hydraulic pump is good too, but leaks fluid due to piston slightly bent. Brand is Little John, but looks kinda home-modified. Mounted on nice trailer and full size tires used to hold air but one is flat at the moment. Easy fix and priced to sell!

wants $190 for it.

Motor worth that I like it!

smokinjay said:
Danno77 said:

wants $190 for it.

+1 as long as it splits the length you need. I've split a lot of wood with splitters others have tossed aside. Between the 3 of them, I have $300 invested and all 3 get the job done when called upon.

SolarAndWood said:
smokinjay said:
Danno77 said:

wants $190 for it.

+1 as long as it splits the length you need. I've split a lot of wood with splitters others have tossed aside. Between the 3 of them, I have $300 invested and all 3 get the job done when called upon.

Yep thats a strong buy! And a horizontal shaft Honda!

I also see the "consumer" Honda. I can not for the life of me understand why they thought those would go over big but the motors are not the same as the "red" Honda. The commercial grade is a better motor.... :-S

RNLA said:
I also see the "consumer" Honda. I can not for the life of me understand why they thought those would go over big but the motors are not the same as the "red" Honda. The commercial grade is a better motor.... :-S

I still like them and cant seem to kill one. :cheese:

Maybe the ones on the pressure washers or something or a bad run of them on pressure washers from HD. I know of a few that expired quickly.

RNLA said:
Maybe the ones on the pressure washers or something or a bad run of them on pressure washers from HD. I know of a few that expired quickly.

I have one on a jd power washer (It does a 30 car lot once a month + around the house) One on the log splitter 35+ cords a year.....Both are work pretty hard both start on the first pull and there are 4 years old. I have lots of B and s I like those to but perfere the honda on the lower HP range. Its not commercial grade and neither is the Bs....But the honda do get ran like a commercial engine. Never One Issue with either honda I have.

Status
Not open for further replies.