Little late this year, but it has begun...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

KJamesJR

Feeling the Heat
Jan 8, 2018
New Hampshire
Little late ordering this year going for solar kilns round 2. Six cord. Second year ordering from this processor. Red oak, white oak and beech. Price is a tad bit steep. But cut, split and delivered I guess it’s not too bad for our area and it’s clean premo stuff.

CEF70D86-7B0F-4583-8E26-C2193F1360AC.jpeg

Little late ordering this year going for solar kilns round 2. Six cord. Second year ordering from this processor. Red oak, white oak and beech. Price is a tad bit steep. But cut, split and delivered I guess it’s not too bad for our area and it’s clean premo stuff.

View attachment 260927
Looks like some prime stuff from a processor. A lot neater than my wood as I cut down to 2" minus so I have lots more little stuff.

Reactions: JimBear
Looks like some prime stuff from a processor. A lot neater than my wood as I cut down to 2" minus so I have lots more little stuff.

They're a kiln dried processor. So they process all their wood inside a massive warehouse/barn so I guess it stays clean they only take oak and beech and charge a wicked premium for their kiln dried stuff. I order green wood from them, delivered it’s $250. Most guys runs their ads for “hardwood mixed” for $240... but we all know those guys...

There are couple of good suppliers in the Conway area that supply similar quality green wood or "winter sesoned. There is a firm in Littleton that has a large drying shed but not sure if they have a kiln.

Nevertheless good clean uniform wood at the going rates is hard to beat.

Reactions: JimBear
$250 a cord, cut split and delivered for oak and beech is a good deal. By comparison, I got some free wood a month ago. Real nice white oak, no rot you could drive right to it and just saw it up. But it was a 22 mile drive. At 50 cents a mile, it cost me $22 in car costs just to drive over and back. Plus to get three Nissan truck loads, about a cord, is three trips. About 4 hours of work at the site, cutting and splitting, and 4 more hours at home, splitting again.

So, one "free" cord cost me $88 in car costs, 8 hours of hard work and 3 hours of driving time. Chain saw costs, let's call it five bucks.
Times 3, my free wood is more expensive than the wood you bought.

And, this was a great craigslist score. A month ago I drove 26 miles for some free craigslist wood and it was just junk I came back empty handed. Took me an hour and a half and I came back with a truck load of nitrogen, oxygen and carbon dioxide. But it was free.

Reactions: KJamesJR
I guess It’s not a bad deal for what I got. I think I’m just comparing it to grapple loads, which we can never find in NH. At least not my area.

Simonkenton

Free firewood is a "An old wives' tale "

The art of the scrounge is not easy. I have reminded myself many times why I got into burning " Save money & Heat my home ". This obsession can get costly if you let it -- example bigger truck , add a trailer & your time.

Hey if you enjoy it more power to you. As I to find satisfaction processing firewood and the art of the scrounge.

There's always log loads ;?

Livin & a Learnin Say safe out there.

If you get satisfaction from splitting and stacking, then time doesn't matter, I get the same satisfaction from a day of splitting, or running the saw in the woods as playing 18 holes of golf, actually golf is more hazardous for me, my group tends to drink more doing that then after a day of working with firewood.

I love to cut and split firewood. Got a Husqvarna and a Stihl, and a Fiskars maul. Nothing I would rather do.

Reactions: Rob711