Living room wood storage

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

begreen

Mooderator
Staff member
Nov 18, 2005
South Puget Sound, WA
Now that the stove is going uptown and moving into the living room, we need a better system for keeping kindling and fire wood near the stove. What solutions have you all worked out? I have been looking for a large brass or copper boiler for kindling, but haven't found anything yet. Any thoughts? Pictures would be great.

I use two large roughneck bins. they get alternated inside/outside, on the porch. tuck them out of the way and always have dry wood. and I don't see bugs running around the house.

For the price of that copper one Robbie, that sucker better toss logs on and adjust the damper when I'm not home. Jeesh, that's a lotta money for a pot.

DavidV said:
I use two large roughneck bins. they get alternated inside/outside, on the porch. tuck them out of the way and always have dry wood. and I don't see bugs running around the house.

I do something similar, but I'm sure at some point my wife will want something more livingroomish.

Check out Christmas Tree Shops if there is one in your area. They have the best assortment of "house friendly" wood storage boxes and the like. I picked up an antiqued white hinged top box with some kind of designs on it ~ $20. It looks like a little foot locker. Matches the living room nice and holds a days worth of wood. I also picked up this cool distressed wood box with antiqued copper latches for my fatwood ~ $15 bucks.

Christmas Tree shops is worth the trip.

I use a standard iron log rack for splits and a smaller brass carrier thingy for kindling. I am keeping my eyes open for a brass or copper tub because the open wood rack sits a little too close to the stove.

Sorry for the pic quality...camera phone.

Attachments

• woodrack.jpg
    woodrack.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 458
  • kindlingholder.jpg
    kindlingholder.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 474
we use a nice old wooden chest. It's big enough I can set splits on end and fit in enough for 3 days or so w/ space left for kindling/newspaper- about 2 tall by 2.4 wide by 4 long. being lazy I lined it with contact paper figuring I'd work out something better later, but there's been no need. works great. no problem with bugs, looks nice in the room. where to find such thing? antique shop.

I use an old steamer trunk, or "foot locker" sorta speak. I'll pile up an entires days worth of wood in it and all the debris stays contained at the bottom of the trunk.

great ideas. keep em coming and post pictures so I can show my wife.

We found a guy who can weld aluminum and is a true craftsman...Last year for my birthday the Mrs..got him to make a kindling box that looks like a modern milk crate but with goood handles on both sides..kindling goes in vertically..for the firewood we have a large pine box with a lid..it can hold about 2.5 days worth of wood if packed to the gills.sorry do not have the digital camera..

Those fancy log racks are expensive and too small for me! I ended up buying those 2x4 brackets for $20 and used some left over 2x4's. Built it big enough to hold 4 or 5 days worth of wood. Of course the wife said "aren't you going to at least stain the 2x4's?" Yes dear. Then I let the wife pick out a cheap brass bucket at Menards for kindling.

I got one of those 1000# wagons from lowes to cart wood into the house with. I am able to roll, not carry about 3-5 days worth of wood in on it. It is kind of big and I have a brick wall next to my stove that I can tuck the wagon on the other side of. If i am expecting a crowd or the wife doesn't want to see it while friends are over I just wheel it out onto the screen porch.

keep 4 or 5 days worth (about 1/4 cord) in basement on 2x4 racks, and got an old wood trunk at a flea market for $20 that holds about a days worth. Just have a little 2 qt metal pail for fatwood, and we don't seem to use more kindling than ends up mixed in with the wood.

Steve

Here's a good link with pictures. On page 2 it explains my Armoire which, I still haven't gotten around to staining, painting, or finishing. Those pictures are it in its rough form. Easy to build, stores a weeks worth of wood, lets the wood dry for 3-4 days inside before burning. My wife likes having the wood close by and it goes along with our country theme. Many people are surprised when I open it up and take wood out of it, they hadn't noticed firewood sitting inside it. I'm certain it doesn't work for everyone, nor if everyone has the room but... if you do it's nice.

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/1204/P0/

Status
Not open for further replies.