load for 1/2 ton pickup?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

blacktail

Minister of Fire
Sep 18, 2011
Western WA
Any rules of thumb for how much wood can be loaded in a half ton pickup? It's not like I can weigh the wood as I load it in my F150. I know it's gonna vary depending on wood type, how dry the wood is, specs for the individual truck, etc. I loaded fir and hemlock even with the top of the bed rails yesterday and was barely able to notice a difference in handling or rear sag. I was very comfortable with this load but wouldn't mind adding maybe another layer and filling in some of the gaps. I'm not really looking to go much higher because that would require sideboards or some kind of netting over the load and I'm not interested in doing either or those. FWIW, the wood from yesterday was logging leftovers that had been down for several months to maybe over a year.
P9170011.jpg

JamiePNW78, I just look at the distance between the tires and the wheel wells, giving the truck a push or two to test the suspension. Never had a problem.

Get to know the leaf springs and tires and height when it's empty, then load it up. The day that you drive it and are scared, then get another good look at everything. That can be your gauge.

Just take a peek at the bumpstops over the rear axle. If the rubber bumpers are touching the axle then it's prob time to stop loading. Truck in the photo looks pretty comfortable with that load.

JamiePNW78 said:
Any rules of thumb for how much wood can be loaded in a half ton pickup? It's not like I can weigh the wood as I load it in my F150. I know it's gonna vary depending on wood type, how dry the wood is, specs for the individual truck, etc. I loaded fir and hemlock even with the top of the bed rails yesterday and was barely able to notice a difference in handling or rear sag. I was very comfortable with this load but wouldn't mind adding maybe another layer and filling in some of the gaps. I'm not really looking to go much higher because that would require sideboards or some kind of netting over the load and I'm not interested in doing either or those. FWIW, the wood from yesterday was logging leftovers that had been down for several months to maybe over a year.
P9170011.jpg

This is one of those things you'll have to figure out for yourself - it's a lot more about feel and experience than direct knowledge. However, that looks about right. If you're going a short distance or if you can drive slow I say load 'er down.

The real question is how'd you let yourself get talked into a half ton?

Depending on how far you have to drive and how fast I wouldn't be afraid to load it up! :)

I run 10 ply tires on the rear of my 99GMC half ton and stack it as high as I can!

Gary

Gary_602z said:
Depending on how far you have to drive and how fast I wouldn't be afraid to load it up! :)

I run 10 ply tires on the rear of my 99GMC half ton and stack it as high as I can!

Gary

Def more tire than truck there! lol

I have 'E' range 10-Plys on my 1 ton and with 80 PSI in 'em they barely squat with 4000 lbs on the truck!

Thanks guys. I went easy on it but I'm still happy that my truck didn't seem to notice the load. It had plenty of suspension travel when I sat on the tailgate to take my boots off. A lot of the wood was fairly dry so it didn't weigh too much. I'll go ahead and top it off when I cut tomorrow. It's an easy 30 minute drive with only a mile or two of good gravel road.
My dad and I usually take his 3/4 ton GMC but it's wearing the camper right now. To my truck's credit, it's a more comfortable ride and much easier at the gas pump.

I used to drive an F150 - the cheapest one made: V6, short bed, regular cab, 5spd, 1wd. My abuse of the load rating was a complex equation in my head based on (1) distance I needed to travel, (2) whether or not the wood was located far from a road, (3) number of hills between wood location and home, and (4) how lucky I was feeling on that particular day. I seriously abused the load rating and never had problems - was just very careful to leave appropriate braking distance, didn't go too fast, and really never traveled more than about 10 miles between wood location and home. Your truck was just beginning to squat - keep loading!

just load her up and drive slow! take a look at the leaf springs-are they flat or still a little arch in 'em?
looks like you could drive quite a distance no problem.
however...when you hit dips in the road (lots around here), and you loose your ability to steer for a brief period, then you are overloaded!!

Always just watch your clearance, add a trailer and save your truck for gear! ;-)

JamiePNW78 said:
Thanks guys. I went easy on it but I'm still happy that my truck didn't seem to notice the load. It had plenty of suspension travel when I sat on the tailgate to take my boots off. A lot of the wood was fairly dry so it didn't weigh too much. I'll go ahead and top it off when I cut tomorrow. It's an easy 30 minute drive with only a mile or two of good gravel road.
My dad and I usually take his 3/4 ton GMC but it's wearing the camper right now. To my truck's credit, it's a more comfortable ride and much easier at the gas pump.

I have basically the same truck (2WD F-150 Ext Cab 6.5' bed) but a few years newer. That looks WELL within the safe load limit. My gauge is the distance between the bump stops and the axle, rather than how full the bed looks. If you plan on hauling a lot of firewood on that truck, you might consider scaling it at a grain elevator or truck stop. I did that to mine with a load of gravel. I had about 2,500lb on there...and made a mental note of the distance from the bump stop to the axle. 2,500 is about right....heavy...but still very drive-able (although legally overweight with my 6,000 lb plates). If I had to guess, that load looks to be about 1,200 - 1,500 lbs.

When your driving down the road and you're looking at sky you know the loads too high.

Here's a picture of a half ton with 3800lbs on it. Don't always go by ride height.
caa8ef24.jpg

Here is a document that list some wet and dry weights for cords of various wood species: http://www.ianrpubs.unl.edu/epublic/live/g1554/build/g1554.pdf

That could be used for a very general guide on possible load weights.

Long ago I hauled wood in a Datsun PU and always over loaded it some. It was a good little hauler, but the strain on the drive train and brakes became apparent after a few seasons. Replaced two clutches, U-joints, carrier bearing and brake pads. I eventually sold it and went with a full sized Chevy 1/2 Ton.

I currently haul wood in my Tundra DC which can hold 1,500lbs. A good load is just over 1/2 cord, and I cut only soft woods, (fir/spruce/pine), so I do not think I ever over load it. My loads look much like yours.

I had a load that size of BL in the back of my 04 chevy last year.
Then 4 guys jump in to help add some weight to get me out of the snow.

dont go that route.

I usually stop when I am level. then toss some splits on top of that.
it varies drastically.

JMO

Heavier stuff forward.
You can load the forward part of the bed with more weight. Weight
forward of the rear tires, distributes the load more evenly.
More weight on the front ties & more control.
Like you, I have a short bed, X-cab style. You should be able to load it full level with just about any wood & be fine.
Some in the back seat area?? LOL (I've been tempted but not done it yet) I bet some have. :)

timfromohio said:
I used to drive an F150 - the cheapest one made: V6, short bed, regular cab, 5spd, 1wd.!

One wheel drive?? Go around in circles much?

I load my F150 to the gunwalls and a wee bit more. I don't notice it all except for braking so have to be careful. With an older F150 I had years ago I carried a pallet of St Augustine grass home. The front wheels barely touched the road. That was kinda scary. and stupid on my part.

I found a comfortable level for me and my truck. I loaded it a little higher, and the wood we cut today wasn't as dry as last time. On the way home the only thing I noticed was the braking. If I was to get on the gas I probably would have noticed the weight then too. It wasn't until I got home that I noticed how low the bumper was. It wasn't parked on a good level spot when we were cutting so it was hard to judge. I did look under the rear end before leaving for home and the springs and gap below the stops looked fine. We also loaded the heavy, wetter stuff in the front with the lighter dry stuff in the rear.
There was hemlock everywhere in the spot we went today. It's not my favorite but I'll take it. Probably got about 2/3 hemlock and then a mix of maple and alder for the rest.
P9190005.jpg

My dad and his 30ish year old Stihl.
P9190003.jpg

Made it home just fine.
P9190012.jpg

P9190013.jpg

Jamie
Nice job & great pics.
Wood looks pretty dry already. Good deal & allot less weight.
wheelbarrow looks like mine; well used :)

Just to make sure you could pull into a truck stop and get on the scale. Subtract their figure from the published empty weight and you have your load.

Years ago I was hauling a load of firewood and came over a very slight rise to discover a 68 Camaro parked in my lane, with another car less than half way off the road in the other lane! Deep ditches were on either side, so I pumped the brakes a few times and then put all my weight down on the pedal and wished HARD!!! Although I was doing only about 45 when I came over the hill, it was amazing to me how long it took to even begin to slow down. I booted that Camero into the next county.

We still have the truck - an 86 Chevy half ton. I don't haul wood with it anymore though.

But really, there are three issues in overloading a pickup. 1) Braking; 2) Premature wear on your bearings (which you will only learn about later); 3) The results of your load shifting under hard braking (or a collision) and coming through the cab. The consequences of a 15 lb. split coming through the back window at, say, 25 mph is something to think about.

Kenster said:
timfromohio said:
I used to drive an F150 - the cheapest one made: V6, short bed, regular cab, 5spd, 1wd.!

One wheel drive?? Go around in circles much?

No limited slip differential - made driving around up here in NEOhio very interesting in the winter!

timfromohio said:
I used to drive an F150 - the cheapest one made: V6, short bed, regular cab, 5spd, 1wd.
Sounds about the same here, 99 V6 short bed, regular cab, 5sp, but mine is 4x4. Also only XL package, non of that super fancy stuff like power windows! And its still going strong. I forget what the actual load rating is and ride height is skewed with my taller blocks anyhow. I have a cap on it and a few times I've put plywood up against the windows in the cap and loaded it up, not all the way to the roof of the cap but maybe another foot above the bed rails. The last row was pretty much empty though, to leave space for my bag and gear and stuff. Handled just fine, and even went off the road around a corner into a ditch when someone coming the other way on a narrow dirt road kinda forced me off. Luckily was able to drive right back up onto the road, though the wife was kinda shaken up with branches whacking the windshiled right infront of her! Had I not had the cap on, I bet I would have lost several rounds when I hit the ditch though.

I still take the 150 when I want to drive back into the woods. Never got that thing stuck off road yet. Here I am getting some wood last winter:
F150_3.jpg

Its amazing what just a little 2" lift and some slightly bigger mudders can do.

jotul8e2 said:
But really, there are three issues in overloading a pickup. 1) Braking; 2) Premature wear on your bearings (which you will only learn about later); 3) The results of your load shifting under hard braking (or a collision) and coming through the cab. The consequences of a 15 lb. split coming through the back window at, say, 25 mph is something to think about.

1]Braking should just be common sense... as you'll rarely ever load wood up in a truck more than it can handle braking - I mean most half tons today can tow 5,000-to nearly 10k #. In a short bed heaped your probably looking at 3,000 or less for sure. Yeah you'll need more distance for braking but it should be well within specs loaded or overloaded.
2]I agree entirely and if you plan on overloading a 1/2 t a lot, plan on getting a truck that was built for it (3/4, 1t etc). Half ton bearings and joints arent designed for the extra stress.
3]Again that should be common sense whether your overloaded, properly loaded, or just carrying your saw and axe in the back. Regardless of 1/2t or 1t. Any object in the back can be a projectile. Unless you have it all netted down, and attached to something a lot tougher than the factory tie downs, about the only other good protection against that is a headache rack. In my 150 I do at least have a few layers, the truck window, the cap window, and the boards I put over the window. On my 1 ton I built my own rack and there are 3 2x6's across the back window with maybe an inch or so of space between them.

Personally the biggest thing I'd be concerned about is your tires. You'll probably have D rated tires at best, unless you swapped em up. For a reasonable load you should be fine but I'm sure the 1/2t Dodge with 3800# in it was over a D rated tire. Bad things happen when you blow a tire loaded with that much weight including killing people, you dont want to kill a couple of kids and their grandparents on there way back from church or something (or anyone of course). I overload my 1 ton and trailer every now and then and I do get nervous... wouldnt be a big deal by myself on a country road with no traffic but I drive on the highway with my wife and son. The e rated tires get a little warm, but the trailer tires get very warm... I'll be upgrading those.

Nice truck Ohioburner! I had no complaints about my F150 - I routinely got 20mpg driving back and forth to work and consistently abused the load limits. I got rid of it as I needed a vehicle that would (1) carry my kids, (2) wife could drive (not good with stick shift) and wanted something that was 4wd/awd.

I do sort of miss it ....

Status
Not open for further replies.