Loading wood from the outside

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GoldBerg

Dec 11, 2005
Ok I am trying to find any suggestions for this project . I have an old existing brick fireplace with a steel wood burning insert . I have built a big back porch and the backside of the brick structure is/in the porch . Everytime I bring wood in its kinda messy . What I would like is to be able load an insert with wood from the backside/outside but also still retain the ability to load from the inside as well as see the fire thru the glass door . I guess my question is , are there any insert products out there that feature a back door to load wood into ? Also I am a jack of all trades , master of none so I am comfortable doing all phases of the work myself if only I can find the product or possibly just plans for such an item . I could feasably even build the firebox as I have a welding machine . I would need a hinged glass door to attach etc . I have trouble designing these types of things so thats why I either need laid out plans or a product . I basically could go into the back of the fireplace and install a big door . Open that door to access the back door of the insert and load my wood . I live in Mississippi and have 15 acres of downed trees so needless to say I have got a lot of firewood stockpiled . Even before the storm wood heat is my primary source for heating . I would really like to do this project . Anyone have any suggesions ? Thanks a bunch

Joseph

How about building an access hatch right next to the fireplace? On your porch you could put the day's wood into the insulated box you'll build and close the lid, and then from inside your house open the little door and grab the wood as you need it.

GoldBerg said:
Ok I am trying to find any suggestions for this project . I have an old existing brick fireplace with a steel wood burning insert . I have built a big back porch and the backside of the brick structure is/in the porch . Everytime I bring wood in its kinda messy . Joseph
Get your self $8. and go down to wal-mart and buy your self a rubbermaid container . Put your wood that you need to load into your stove in the container , take it over to the front of the stove , open the door , fiddle with the wood coal thats in there and take your wood out of the container and place in your wood stove ....... shut the door , set your damper and take your extra wood , wood mess and the rubbermaid container away with you . NO MESS !

LOL , thanks for the replys , The side access won't work , this is a narrow old timey chimney and I can't mess the front up as its all done up with hundreds of Indian arrowheads I have collected thru out the years . The 2nd suggestion is sounding better all the time . A lot less trouble and expense no doub't . Thanks to both of you .

GB

Status
Not open for further replies.