Local surprise

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

esh21167

Hearth Supporter
Dec 27, 2007
Central PA
I purchased my Napoleon 1402 insert online from a dealer 2000 miles away and saved $500-$600 compared to local dealers. They would only move about $50 on price.

Then I had my sweep clean the chimney to prepare for the SS reline and he asked me where I got the insert and where I was getting my liner. I told him through a online sources. We talked a few minutes and he is getting me a ForeverFlex kit for $100 less than online from the manufacturer. In the Internet age, it sometimes it pays to give the local guys a chance.

Just thought I'd pass on this story.

Also, for this DIYer, I'll have less than $2100 in the entire project versus a complete stove shop deal for around $3500.

I found out the same thing. I was about to order the pipe on the web for $980 and pay an installer $500 to hook it up. Then I called a few more contractors for estimates and found a guy who will do the whole thing for $1,300 which included the same materials. Saved myself almost two hundred bucks.

Now I just need my stove to get here! Uhhh... almost forgot.... have to build my hearth too! Lot's of work to do before burning season!

Eric H said:
I purchased my Napoleon 1402 insert online from a dealer 2000 miles away and saved $500-$600 compared to local dealers. They would only move about $50 on price.

Then I had my sweep clean the chimney to prepare for the SS reline and he asked me where I got the insert and where I was getting my liner. I told him through a online sources. We talked a few minutes and he is getting me a ForeverFlex kit for $100 less than online from the manufacturer. In the Internet age, it sometimes it pays to give the local guys a chance.

Also, for this DIYer, I'll have less than $2100 in the entire project versus a complete stove shop deal for around $3500.
i try to by local all the time sure makes you fill better to!

smokinj said:
Eric H said:

i try to by local all the time sure makes you fill better to!

I try and deal with the local bussiness also, but when they are extremely high, they will not see any of my money. For example, I looked at the Hearthstone dealer near me, $450 to deliver the stove, $500 basic install, liner and other stuff extra, and they where talking over $1000 for a 15' liner. Refused to sell me a stove unless they delivered and installed. I can can not see $450 dollars to transprot the stove 5 miles and hand truck it into the house, with no steps. I now have a nice Woodstock Fireview waiting to be fired up when it gets cold, and I saved over $1000 and probably closer to $2000. I don't have that kind of money to waste with a local dealer. I will support the local dealer and not expect them to match the internet, but not if they are asking like 40% more.

Status
Not open for further replies.