Loctite blue on nut for trap door - will it work?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Amin1992

Feeling the Heat
Oct 9, 2019
PA, USA
Hey all. I have a Quadra Fire Classic Bay 1200 that is around 10 years old - it was in our house when we purchased the place last year.

Going on 3 times now in the last year, I've had to open it up to tighten the nut that adjusts and holds the trap door clean out. It will loosen with use to the point where the door hangs loose and pellets don't ignite.

This time I used loctite blue on the nut. Think that will work? It's near the ignitor but below the actual burn pot and heating area. Loctite blue can withstand 500F I believe.

If that doesn't work, I'm just going to jbweld the thing tight and worry about that later!
Thanks all

Probably not. Blue loctite is not heat resistant. Why not just buy a nylon insert locknut or add a split lockwasher? JB Weld is no good either. Don't use the stuff.

Thanks for the reply bud. I wasn't sure if that area below the firepot got hot enough to melt away the loctite. I may run it a bit and do a temp check today.

The tricky part is, in order to use a locknut I have to really tighten the nut down. The design of this makes it so I could tighten it to the point of locking the plate closed and making it inoperable, so I need to keep it "loose" (ie not 100% torqued down) but stop it from loosening any further.

Thanks for the reply bud. I wasn't sure if that area below the firepot got hot enough to melt away the loctite. I may run it a bit and do a temp check today.

The tricky part is, in order to use a locknut I have to really tighten the nut down. The design of this makes it so I could tighten it to the point of locking the plate closed and making it inoperable, so I need to keep it "loose" (ie not 100% torqued down) but stop it from loosening any further.
Double nut it then. One nut will secure the other so you can leave it 'loose'.

Just realized you said nylon lock washer - that's a great idea. No clue what their temp range is though.

I almost wonder if adding a flat washer would even help to keep the nut from being the direct contact point.

Ah I will have to see if I have enough thread to double nut but will keep that in mind too. Thanks for the tips.

What is supposed to be there is a lock nut,but not a nylon one,a steel crimp one.They wear out after so many uses.You can probably get one at local hardware store,or you an order.

What is supposed to be there is a lock nut,but not a nylon one,a steel crimp one.They wear out after so many uses.You can probably get one at local hardware store,or you an order.

That is exactly what I need - what is currently on there is just a regular old nut. I'll order this now, thank you