Locust? I have no idea.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Drvn4wood

Apr 1, 2014
Pa
Neighbor said it was locust but I really have no idea. These are pictures of the splits, the log it came from, and the patch of trees. The same trees form a circle around a 20 acre field that I have permission to take down and dying trees from plus it's right across the street from my house. If this is locust I'm gonna have at it. image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg image.jpg

That's Mulberry! Good stuff, but takes awhile to dry out! And it'll turn from yellow to reddish-brown as it dries!

And welcome to yet ANOTHER Pennsylvania person ;lol :) ;) :p

Last edited:
Reactions: Drvn4wood
Thank you! I'm down in franklin county on the Maryland line. I've been helping a buddy cut red oak for the last couple weeks and this stuff sliced like butter with the saw. Is that typical of mulberry?

Thank you! I'm down in franklin county on the Maryland line. I've been helping a buddy cut red oak for the last couple weeks and this stuff sliced like butter with the saw. Is that typical of mulberry?

Yes if it's green it'll cut and split easily, but it's got some weight to it-very much water inside to dry out!

Mulberry is softer than oak -- when dry, its density is closer to that of ash.

Sorry to hijack this thread but Jon 1270 PLEASE wake those Penguins up-please!!!! They just don't quite have it this year....been a Pens fan since 1975 but this is painful to watch.....

Sorry DRVN4WOOD but I just HAD to say that.....<> ;hm

Yeah, I'm from Erie and my sister is a Pens nut. She has game 7 tickets for this series if it goes that far or game 1 tickets for the next round if they win in 6 or less. I talked to her the other day and told her I was more concerned about my red oak being ready for the 16/17 winter than the Pens haha. If you can get a blank stare over the phone I got one..

Yeah, I'm from Erie and my sister is a Pens nut. She has game 7 tickets for this series if it goes that far or game 1 tickets for the next round if they win in 6 or less. I talked to her the other day and told her I was more concerned about my red oak being ready for the 16/17 winter than the Pens haha. If you can get a blank stare over the phone I got one..
Well, you don't need to worry about that Oak for 16/17 any more. Get the Mulberry stacked now & it'll be more than ready by then. Maybe even by 15/16. My experience with Mulberry is 18mos (including 2 summers) and its ready to burn. One of my favs for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.