Locust on the Cherry, I screwed up!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lctatlp

Oct 6, 2011
North Shore, MA
I cut down this locust yesterday.
It's hung up on a Cherry tree.

Attachments

• Iphone pics Sept 14 442.JPG
    Iphone pics Sept 14 442.JPG
    395.2 KB · Views: 353
Reactions: TreePointer
If you try cutting the cherry it might barber chair with all that extra weight up top. I've had pretty good success freeing snags doing a reverse notch and back cut. Never had one that size hang up on me though. Basically make a notch in the top side, and a back cut on the bottom side until it starts moving again, then get out of there. Rinse and repeat until it shakes itself loose.

Timber tong or cat-claw (*chain) the butt-end to your pickup and give it a little tug. She'll free up

Timber tong or cat-claw (*chain) the butt-end to your pickup and give it a little tug. She'll free up
As a rookie I have made myself a few troubles like this! If I cant get a vehicle to it, I wrap a chain around the base and hook a come-along up high as I can reach on a tree directly behind and start winching it backwards. The reason I go up high is so it lifts the trunk as it comes back rather than tugging it into the ground. If all else fails sometimes you have to let ma nature take care of it! Its not worth risking getting hurt trying to cut the tree its stuck in.

Yeah I should probably note, the only place I've used my reverse notch technique is back in the woods, where there's no danger of hitting anything. It's basically impossible to really control where it will go when it starts moving - they'll usually twist around a bit. You can predict a little if there's an obvious pivot point like a crotch that it's stuck in.

Pulling it down somehow will probably give you better control, unless you're on a hill or something.

I've rolled them out too using a cant hook.
d2efa76c0847fd7495c5abe58ce41766.jpg

Reactions: ailanthus
I would recommend pulling if that's an option. There's a lot of stored energy in a situation like that and when it releases, it's best to be as far away as possible

Reactions: R'Lee
And maybe remind the nice lady that that is not a good place to stand and watch.
That's the second thing I saw when looking at the pic, first obviously the tree. Maybe the pic is deceiving but I wouldn't want to be where she is. I never had a snag like this but that's probably because I haven't felled enough yet, good tip on chain and tug it with the pick-up truck, I'll have to remember that

I prefer the pull out routine but, sometimes the swamp doesnt allow "me" enough chain or cable... the step-cut is usually MY last resort... When I use the cant hook routine for a hang-up, it is only executed at the base of the log, sometimes using a cheater-pipe for more leverage. That keeps me away from the chaos that follows that gal letting loose! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.