Locust or Ash?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kilks

Dec 20, 2010
Northeast PA
So we have our first child this year and for some reason thought we were not going to heat with wood to save time this year. However, the first oil bill quickly changed my mind so we started to burn again at the beginning of December. I had a decent amount of wood left that was c/s/s in January-February 2009, but I will be running out of that wood around the middle of February. I have been working on building up a supply for future years, and have about 8 cords now and I hope to have another 8 by spring time. With that said, what would you suggest burning at the end of February through the rest of the season? I have 2 cords of white ash that I finished over the weekend. I freshly cut the wood so it is green. I also have 2 cords of black locust that was c/s/s at the beginning of August. I don't have a moisture meter, but I was not sure what would be the lesser of 2 evils here. I know neither situation is ideal, but what would you do in my situation? Thanks for any input!

Both start with a pretty low moisture content so you can probably toss a coin. When the time comes I'd burn a little of each and see what one is better off. I would personally lean towards the ash. I'd hate to use/waste the black locust before it was ready since it's one of the top woods around.

My crystal ball says your going to try both.

afterwards your judgement will steer you towards the heat.

I like the suggestion of saving such a nice wood as locust for when it is properly dried so I think I will try to go with the ash. I do have space in the basement to put a few cords so that will probably be on the weekend agenda along with freeing up a black locust hanger - always a fun time!

I've burnt fresh white ash. It works but not ideal. Just cut some that was dead a couple years. The heart wood was 26% moisture and the rest was 18%. may want to split the heart wood
out and save that part for next year ?

Kilks said:
I like the suggestion of saving such a nice wood as locust for when it is properly dried so I think I will try to go with the ash. I do have space in the basement to put a few cords so that will probably be on the weekend agenda along with freeing up a black locust hanger - always a fun time!

Methinks this would be your best plan.

If you put the ash in the basement, then also run a fan blowing against the wood. Also, split the wood into small splits so it will be a bit easier to get it started burning. It can be done but won't be fun. Remember to clean that chimney often!!!!

I've heard a lot of good things about ash even if it's green. I would tend towards that, however try both and see what you think. +1 on the chimney watch/cleanout.

I would try both and see what burns better . . . but I suspect the ash might be the better of two evils.

I've been disappointed in my black locust. It just doesn't seem to put off good heat.

I've heard alot of people talk about black locust being a real score. Seriously - it doesn't impress me. It splits and dries easy, but the splinters in my hands and the sub par heat - make it low on my list.

Try the ash and mix in some pallets or other dead score that will burn now. Good luck

Thanks for the recommendations guys. I moved a trailer load of ash into the basement tonight and hope to get the rest in Saturday It was just too darn cold to keep working in the dark - 5 degrees and dropping...glad I still have a few weeks of seasoned wood on hand right now!

Hi - One might be able to locate a fellow burner in the area that would swap some wood. I've done it, and I am aware of svral folks on the sight who've done the same.

All the best and congrat's on the baby,
Mike P

basswidow said:
I've been disappointed in my black locust. It just doesn't seem to put off good heat.

I've heard alot of people talk about black locust being a real score. Seriously - it doesn't impress me. It splits and dries easy, but the splinters in my hands and the sub par heat - make it low on my list.

Try the ash and mix in some pallets or other dead score that will burn now. Good luck
BW if you want to get rid of the disappointing BL let me know and I can swing by and pick it up to study it under my burning conditions.

gzecc said:
basswidow said:

BW if you want to get rid of the disappointing BL let me know and I can swing by and pick it up to study it under my burning conditions.

My stove hates it. I've got four cords of it and I'd gladly trade for some oak or maple or cherry. I know you're joking about trading, but I'm not...

Bring the wood to Battenkiller's basement - you can pick it up in a few weeks, nice and dry! :cheese: Cheers!

NH_Wood said:
Bring the wood to Battenkiller's basement - you can pick it up in a few weeks, nice and dry! :cheese: Cheers!

Heck with that. I just brought in another face cord of black birch. No room in the kiln right now.

OMG! Look at all the bugs! They're everywhere!!!

JK

Dude, I burn 75-80% oak. The other 20-25% is ash and locust. When it gets REAL cold, I'll gather the locust and stuff the stove to the gills. My stove LOVES it, and burns long and hot. Are you ABSOLUTELY SURE you have Black Locust??? I cant believe anybody would not like burning it.

wood-fan-atic said:
Dude, I burn 75-80% oak. The other 20-25% is ash and locust. When it gets REAL cold, I'll gather the locust and stuff the stove to the gills. My stove LOVES it, and burns long and hot. Are you ABSOLUTELY SURE you have Black Locust??? I cant believe anybody would not like burning it.

I am pretty sure it's black locust. Check out the photo in my avatar. That's what I am burning now.

I'm not saying I'd throw it out or not burn it. I'm just saying it does not give off heat like the oak I am burning. I am seeing a huge difference in a box full of oak vs a box full of black locust. Really - my cherry burns hotter and better then this black locust.

Big thick bark, stinks alittle, tiny splinters... It just doesn't measure up to my expectations from all the rave reviews black locust gets, I just was expecting more from it. SO - I guess I'm a wood snob!

Looks like Dave also would trade Locust for Oak, maple or cherry.

A guy at tractor supply told me black locust was lousy wood and I was miffed - because I thought I had scored some great wood. Now I kind of agree with him.

I wouldn't pass a free BL scrounge, but if two trees were on the ground (Oak and BL) I'm going for the OAK! It's far superior.

basswidow said:
wood-fan-atic said:

I am pretty sure it's black locust. Check out the photo in my avatar. That's what I am burning now.

I'm not saying I'd throw it out or not burn it. I'm just saying it does not give off heat like the oak I am burning. I am seeing a huge difference in a box full of oak vs a box full of black locust. Really - my cherry burns hotter and better then this black locust.

Big thick bark, stinks alittle, tiny splinters... It just doesn't measure up to my expectations from all the rave reviews black locust gets, I just was expecting more from it. SO - I guess I'm a wood snob!

Looks like Dave also would trade Locust for Oak, maple or cherry.

A guy at tractor supply told me black locust was lousy wood and I was miffed - because I thought I had scored some great wood. Now I kind of agree with him.

I wouldn't pass a free BL scrounge, but if two trees were on the ground (Oak and BL) I'm going for the OAK! It's far superior.
Very strange, you must be an oak firewood sales person. BL has equal btu's but seasons in 1/3 the time. Your avitar pictures are some what strange for BL that I am used to. It almost looks fake.
Bring some to me I will give you some of mine. We can do a study.

Status
Not open for further replies.