locust wood opinions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Some people, including me, have trouble burning black locust after one year of drying. If you have a tight stove, you better give it two years, to be safe.

It splits easily, for me. It does smell somewhat when burning, but if your stove is EPA 2 and sealed properly, you won't notice.

dave11 said:
Some people, including me, have trouble burning black locust after one year of drying. If you have a tight stove, you better give it two years, to be safe.

It splits easily, for me. It does smell somewhat when burning, but if your stove is EPA 2 and sealed properly, you won't notice.
Put a moisture meter on it after 6 mos. It will definitely be ready after 1 yr (<20%mc).
I burn it every year and put a moisture on it all the time. It's the wood I look for the most. Great BTU's, easy splitting, <1 yr seasoning (I always season it for a year).
Its a little hard to start a fire with it. Its best to mix it with other hards.
Pound for pound it highest return on investment in my area.
Its white ash on steroids!

Status
Not open for further replies.