Locust?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

k29er

Apr 7, 2013
VA
I cut up a bunch of this today...not entirely sure it was locust, but hoping.

Can anyone confirm/deny? Best split green or dry? There were was a 8" dead portion that I went after and it was a pain to split w/ a maul.

Thanks for any help.

Attachments

• locust.jpg
    locust.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 131
Nope, locust heartwood would be fairly bright yellow/green (see my avatar pic).

Edit: the wood shown in my avatar is black locust. I have no experience with honeylocust, but I believe it's fairly light-colored.

Not locust for sure.......maybe red elm.

Black Walnut is a possibility, perhaps.

I thought of walnut too but bark sort of looks more like elm although the heartwood is right for walnut. Picture of a split would tell us,

I'll get a fresh split tomorrow and throw up a pic.

I have access to a bit more, though it is a bit of a chore to get it

Thinking red elm.

Bark looks like elm to me

elm

anyone familiar w/ sassafras? Pretty sure it grows like a weed around here. That's what I'm leaning towards today.

Red elm. For sure. Burn it.

Never seen sassafrass that big in diameter. I say red elm also.
Splits alot easier when dried out.

anyone familiar w/ sassafras? Pretty sure it grows like a weed around here. That's what I'm leaning towards today.

Welcome to the forum k29er.

We are very familiar with sassafras and love to cut it just to enjoy the smell of it. But the picture is elm rather than sassy.

In addition, when in doubt, look for a post by nrford. He has many years of experience with logs and lumber. He's a pretty nice guy too.

Reactions: nrford
thanks for all the feedback. see attached for what I have to work with. I was able to get the maul through some of it today. it was tough, but I enjoyed the challenge.

Attachments

• split.JPG
    split.JPG
    74.1 KB · Views: 94
  • pile.JPG
    pile.JPG
    102.9 KB · Views: 100
Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Status
Not open for further replies.