Locust?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

colophoto

Jan 3, 2014
denver
Hey all, answered an ad for free locust. Did a quick look and it looked like locust but when I got there all twigs branches and little refuse was gone just left with logs.

There are some thorns but not like what I see online for locust images. The few there are are long and hooked like a cat claw. Several 2-3" long but mostly no thorns anywhere. The wood is insanely heavy and the bark isn't super thick but it is really really tough and abrasive. I mostly work without gloves and this stuff tore me up. My arms look like I have road rash. Got it home and today was 7 degrees and the wood sits easily. First strike the maul literally bounced off but it cracks the round, further strikes go through.

What did I get? image.jpg

That's not locust. Orange color makes me think hedge but I have no experience with it so I will see what others say.

Honey locust yes.....

Honey locust for sure. I was just cutting some of that up today :)

It's a great wood but it dries slow like oak.......

Ah honey locust. Don't think I've seen that around here. Good score.

NYC is supposed to be part of its natural range but not upstate and I have seen it here. But the type that is covered in thorns not the cultivated thornless type.
Pretty wood and great find.

honey locust yes.

So cultivated locust is missing thorns? Thanks all!

Natural range doesn't matter much anymore for many locusts. I see that honey locust has been planted in parking lot islands/medians just about everywhere I travel.

Yes, there are thornless honey locust cultivars.

Honey locust- hybrid- almost no thorns, Great firewood - 2-3 year drying time like Oak, Black Locust yellow inside instead of red/pink Much coarser bark ,either is tough on chains. just about the top of the btu charts Full load of either properly dried will melt a stove. Thorns- if ya get stuck you are going to have to do a little self surgery as the tips break off in the wound and fester. Also the thorns can destroy a tire quicker than a Chicago gang with switchblades.

Reactions: Ralphie Boy
Yeah, that is Thornless Honey Locust. The thornless ones are developed from the occasional wild Honey Locust that doesn't have thorns. I haven't ever seen a thorny one that somebody planted. It is very dense wood and good firewood. My main problem with Honey Locust is that I get a lot of borers in Honey Locust in my piles, which leave tons of shallow tunnels through the wood and a lot of firewood. It still burns but I lose some BTUs from the beetles.

Beatles burn just lower btu's

Reactions: D8Chumley
Great firewood. Slow to season but worth it.

Here are both types...there must be many types of locust....the stuff i get has very little maybe 1/4" of sapwood....the rest all heartwood..

Attachments

• 20140221_164808.jpg
    20140221_164808.jpg
    333.8 KB · Views: 136
+1 Honey Locust. The only Locust I have around here. Great stuff. Get it dry and you will be very pleased. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.