Locust?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ctwoodtick

Minister of Fire
Jun 5, 2015
Southeast CT
image.jpg image.jpeg image.jpeg Scored these two rounds from side of road. Black locust?

Last edited:
Yup ! You lucky dog !

Ya done good Grass hopper

Looks like it to me. Give those guys 1-2 years of split, single stacked, in the sun and you will have coal.

Did you blow out your back getting them into the truck. Locust is heavy. I've got a few cords and man is it heavy.

Did you blow out your back getting them into the truck. Locust is heavy. I've got a few cords and man is it heavy.

Nearly did. Any heavier and it would have been impossible for me to have done it alone. Tough to guess the weight, but I would say at least 75 pounds each

Nice score there and of they are heavy, I know why they got left by the side of the road.
Good for you though!

Love locust. Out here in softwood country it's burning gold.

I do like me some locust. Those shouldn't be too bad to toss around by hand. Stuff like that would go straight from tailgate to splitter.

Even better than finding thus locust was finding finding that the rounds had already dried a fair amount. Moisture meter read 35% on fresh splits. Usually all the wood I measure when first split maxes out the mm I gave, which us at 40%. The wood also had drier sound to when I was tossing the splits around. Should be gold when burned over winter 17-18'

Nice job, once seasoned you will see why that is one of the best fire woods.

Even better than finding thus locust was finding finding that the rounds had already dried a fair amount. Moisture meter read 35% on fresh splits. Usually all the wood I measure when first split maxes out the mm I gave, which us at 40%. The wood also had drier sound to when I was tossing the splits around. Should be gold when burned over winter 17-18'
It's likely still green locust at that measurement. Locust has a very low moisture content even while green. I've cut standing live honey and black locust that come in at mid 30's in moisture. This is why there is the myth of standing dead locust always being ready to burn exists.

It's likely still green locust at that measurement. Locust has a very low moisture content even while green. I've cut standing live honey and black locust that come in at mid 30's in moisture. This is why there is the myth of standing dead locust always being ready to burn exists.

I've personally scrounged many dead standing, barkless, Black Locust which registered in the mid teens on the moisture meter. It's also worth mentioning that Honey Locust and Black Locust are vastly different.

Good to know, learn something from this forum everyday

I LOVE LOCUST! Even though it is invasive.........LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.