Log 15 ID Please, No Clue, Butt Ugly Also!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bacffin

Minister of Fire
This one has got me. It was different to buck up from the others I have in the grapple load. When running the saw though it, it would naturaly follow the twisted grain pattern. I tried to keep the bar straight and square through the log, but it was useless. After a while I just gave up fighting it and let it cut where it wanted to. The mold growth also had an effect on it. It penetrated in a few inches where it is attached and those areas all basicaly dust/punky now. too bad. I'm thinking maple family?

Thanks Again,
Bruce

Attachments

• DSCN3048rl15.jpg
    DSCN3048rl15.jpg
    187.4 KB · Views: 180
  • DSCN3049rl15.jpg
    DSCN3049rl15.jpg
    214.6 KB · Views: 177
  • DSCN3050rl15.jpg
    DSCN3050rl15.jpg
    213.2 KB · Views: 170
  • DSCN3051rl15.jpg
    DSCN3051rl15.jpg
    239 KB · Views: 177
  • DSCN3052rl15.jpg
    DSCN3052rl15.jpg
    220.6 KB · Views: 185
  • DSCN3053rl15.jpg
    DSCN3053rl15.jpg
    240.9 KB · Views: 192
  • DSCN3055rl15.jpg
    DSCN3055rl15.jpg
    241 KB · Views: 170
  • DSCN3054rl15.jpg
    DSCN3054rl15.jpg
    209.8 KB · Views: 177
More Pictures

Attachments

• DSCN3056rl15.jpg
    DSCN3056rl15.jpg
    176.6 KB · Views: 163
  • DSCN3057rl15.jpg
    DSCN3057rl15.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 134
  • DSCN3058rl15.jpg
    DSCN3058rl15.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 144
  • DSCN3059rl15.jpg
    DSCN3059rl15.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 151
  • DSCN3060rl15.jpg
    DSCN3060rl15.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 161
  • DSCN3061rl15.jpg
    DSCN3061rl15.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 159
  • DSCN3062rl15.jpg
    DSCN3062rl15.jpg
    177.3 KB · Views: 136
Reactions: smokinj
Looks to be a hard maple. I will go with sugar.

Reactions: Fifelaker and ScotO
Looks like maple to me too, depending on where they grow they can be tough sometimes.

Reactions: ScotO
If it came into a sawmill it would go into the Soft maple deck!

?? Okay, I thought sugar maple was considered hard? Is it silver?

No. Sugar only runs for a day or so in the fall and for a month or so in the late winter/early spring. You may get commited to the nuthouse if someone sees you licking wood.....even if it is your OWN wood!!;lol

The mind went right into gutter, ay!

Reactions: Realstone and ScotO
I am pretty sure it is maple but not sure what kind. I'd say it is either Sugar (Hard) maple or Red (one of the soft) maples. Both have that flaky bark that you see on your log.

Its a little hollow and if that hits the deck you will be a man down!

Reactions: Realstone
Why soft?
#1 the color of the heartwood screams soft maple.
#2 the bark speaks soft maple much more than Hard.

Right Smoke the hollow would be bucked back some! But hollow logs are sawed everyday at a grade mill!

Where this is soft, will it be under 20% MC before the other hardwoods? I will hold it aside if it is.

Thanks Everyone,
Bruce

Where this is soft, will it be under 20% MC before the other hardwoods? I will hold it aside if it is.
Soft Maple dries super-fast...at least the Red Maple I've gotten recently.

#1 the color of the heartwood screams soft maple.
#2 the bark speaks soft maple much more than Hard.

Right Smoke the hollow would be bucked back some! But hollow logs are sawed everyday at a grade mill!

There bringing them in that small and hollow again one man down................These guys are loggers thats why this stuff was sold as cord wood!

There bringing them in that small and hollow again one man down................These guys are loggers thats why this stuff was sold as cord wood!

I know it is not a sawlog the intent was make the point of where it would go if it was! You don't have to be a jerk!

Bruce, just look at soft maple and hard maple as two very different woods. And yes, soft maple dries extremely fast. If left in the woods it can also rot pretty darned fast, even if it is off the ground. We had one we cut a few years back (do that sometimes just for the deer to feed on) and it landed across two others that we had fell. I don't remember if it were 2 or 3 years later and a neighbor was looking for some wood for a needy person. These 3 trees were very close to the line fence and I just told him to cut them and take them. You could already see them turning punky.

Soft maple is still good to burn but just won't hold a fire as long as hard maple.

Wood...or any aspect thereof...just ain't worth getting all worked up about. Be nice to one another here on the playground, or I'll have kick y'all out & lock it up. I don't want to have to do that. Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.