Log 32 ID. Just a Tiny Hunk. Hard or Soft?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bacffin

Minister of Fire
I don't know why this little piece was in the load. Probably to fill space is my quess. It is only 32" long. I'm thinking soft maple because of the reddish bark. Still trying to figure out these maples...if it is.

Thanks,
Bruce

Attachments

• DSCN3240rl32.jpg
    DSCN3240rl32.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 124
  • DSCN3241rl32.jpg
    DSCN3241rl32.jpg
    241.8 KB · Views: 115
  • DSCN3242rl32.jpg
    DSCN3242rl32.jpg
    178.7 KB · Views: 116
  • DSCN3243rl32.jpg
    DSCN3243rl32.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 109
  • DSCN3244rl32.jpg
    DSCN3244rl32.jpg
    215.9 KB · Views: 119
  • DSCN3245rl32.jpg
    DSCN3245rl32.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 104
  • DSCN3247rl32.jpg
    DSCN3247rl32.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 117
looks like red maple.

i love burning red maple in less-than-frigid conditions. it splits like a dream, seasons fast and burns clean.

Reactions: ScotO
I'm gonna say red maple as well. Bark doesn't loo like hard maple. Burning some red maple as I type this, great shoulder season wood and for morning start-ups it's hard to beat.

Soft

looks like red maple.

i love burning red maple in less-than-frigid conditions. it splits like a dream, seasons fast and burns clean.

Curious..How fast does soft maple take to season. Gonna start that thread after I'm done bucking up this grapple load and finish identifiying all this wood.

Thanks,
Bruce

In perfect conditions 8 months its ready to go for me. iam alot further south then you. we get alot of hot days and wind in the mountains.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Curious..How fast does soft maple take to season. Gonna start that thread after I'm done bucking up this grapple load and finish identifiying all this wood.

Thanks,
Bruce
I just started another thread on that topic. I just checked my soft maple that has been c/s/s for only 5 months. Came in at 16% and ready to burn! Don't really need it for this year but having it around is nice in case this winter goes too long!

Edit: maple was cut live in May

Reactions: albert1029
Right. We've cut soft maple in winter and burned it in the fall. No problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.