LOG HOME REPAIR How to & Do's & Dont's 10 years repair work

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

keith0

Aug 1, 2008
salt city, Hutchinson, KS
Anyone with log home repair or maintenance issues, I have done plenty of log replacements, caulking, staining & UV resistant finish application- Swedish cope-D-logs-Tongue & Grove, Slab. And corn stripping sandblast, cobbing we call it! Tornado alley!

LOL- could have used your advice a few years ago.

I finally went around the downsatirs with backing rod, shoving it into any crevice to seal up drafts. Worked like a charm. I used a paint opened tool- has a curve that helps in weird spots.

Here's the other tip- Great Stuff. Friggin eh. And boron treatment.

I have to redo the backer rod in my house. Its probably time for a pressure wash and reseal also.

Dill- is yours chinked? I got someone to do the chinking and a full sealing (Sikkens), plus some rot replacement on a non-log dormer on my house for $5K. The chinking could have had a bit more attention, but overall a good job. A "log home" specific contractor that I had do an estimate said over $20K for the same work. Aye Carrumba! I would have done it all myself, but I hate ladders

I don't believe so. Mine was built in 88, its a cedar cabin from Maine, D-logs round outside, sqaure inside. They got the shell up and pretty much stopped. The upstairs was just studded when we bought it 5 years ago. I contacted the orginal builder and he dropped off a bunch of backer rod then I never saw him again. The only contracting that I've had done was Gooch's log homes in Nottingham installed 2 skylights a couple of years ago. That wasn't cheap. No chaulking has been done either. To my wife and I the insulation is amazing since we both grew up in 1700's farmhouses that you could feel the wind blow through.

Never much of a fan of SIKKENS, use to use Log oil but requires to many coats, STACKER for sealing with backer rod worked the best for me, Cascade water base 2 coat STAIN then Clear UV seems to been OK. I'm sure there are more out since I was really into it! Went through a lot of chains on my saws cutting rot out! BORATE & IMPELL RODS for BUGS & MOISTURE ( boron) A SCORPE sp? tool for shaveing leadges - checks is a must for every log home owner!!

I still have to hit three sill logs with impell rods. Man, soooooo freaking expensive. I spent $300 on the one most likely to be affected by moisture/bugs. Only $900 more to go. The house is coated with Wood Guard, dark walnut. 1870's log home. When I bought it, the chinking was about gone...I cut 1/4" plywood to fit in the gaps and covered with a layer of superchink, sand color. When I redid my woodguard last fall, I had to follow up with chink paint to cover up the runs from wood guard. I found that a heavy knapp roller is best for wood guard; brushing it wayyyyyyy too time consuming, and spraying is too messy. First coat went over baord-defense (borate). Interior is unfinished logs.

Yes, I like posting pictures of my house.

Edit: and no comments about the "door of death". It was like that when I bought it (I know, people are stupid, cutting logs like that). A deck outside that door is one of my next projects.

Attachments

• house small.JPG
    house small.JPG
    73.7 KB · Views: 490
Big overhangs is the way to go, mine are from 3 to 5 feet on my handcrafted log home and the logs rarely even get wet,permachink products worked well for me.

Mike from Athens said:
I still have to hit three sill logs with impell rods. Man, soooooo freaking expensive. I spent $300 on the one most likely to be affected by moisture/bugs. Only $900 more to go. The house is coated with Wood Guard, dark walnut. 1870's log home. When I bought it, the chinking was about gone...I cut 1/4" plywood to fit in the gaps and covered with a layer of superchink, sand color. When I redid my woodguard last fall, I had to follow up with chink paint to cover up the runs from wood guard. I found that a heavy knapp roller is best for wood guard; brushing it wayyyyyyy too time consuming, and spraying is too messy. First coat went over baord-defense (borate). Interior is unfinished logs.

Yes, I like posting pictures of my house.

Edit: and no comments about the "door of death". It was like that when I bought it (I know, people are stupid, cutting logs like that). A deck outside that door is one of my next projects.

Great house!

Neat that it's 130+ years old! Hate to say but most of the repairs we did were on Real Log Home Kits 20 some to 30 years old. I guess 80%. Most with very little overhang protection EVES, & some sold without caulking, save some $$ & pay a bunch later. Use of the wrong products- one home thought that Check Mate for Butt ends (corners) worked so great on the end gain sealing they put it on their walls it just held the moisture in & accelerated the rot! $20.000. Job ! Started out doing repalcement at $10 -15 per foot then up to $15-$20 per running ft. --Chain saw-Chisel-Sledge hammer -saws-all for spikes/bolts- & power planer.... Anyway good luck! & get that deck up!!

Dill said:
I have to redo the backer rod in my house. Its probably time for a pressure wash and reseal also.

Ok, likely a dumb question but since we will be living in our log home permenantly in a couple months I have to ask, what's "Backer Rod"?

Eric

Attachments

• House 1.JPG
    House 1.JPG
    243.1 KB · Views: 427
  • House 2.JPG
    House 2.JPG
    77.6 KB · Views: 406
It's just foam "rod" that you put in cracks and gaps to seal and stop air leaks. I've seen it round (different diameters) and a trapezoidal cross-section that you stick between logs prior to chinking with permachink or superchink or any of the other latex-based flexible chinking.

Backer rod provides 3 point adhesion, besides sealing, your caulking (I like stacker log builder) sticks to each log & the backer 1-2-3. Also if your putting 2 or more coats on I like to get a coat of finish then caulk & final coat, seems to stick a bit better. A good trick to smoothing caulking is to have a bucket of water & rags , use your fingers - thumbs to smooth out, a coat of finish help with clean-up also. Makes for a nice clean job! I like the big tubes & also had a re-loadable gun that filled from a 5 gal. bucket, small tubes = a lot of cases.. Make sure you get all the checks (cracks) that will catch water. butt joints & corners good where they don't catch water. I don't mind caulking these days, repairs are another story!! Good luck! Keith in Kansas

Status
Not open for further replies.