Log length pricing

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fiziksgeek

Burning Hunk
Jan 3, 2012
Oxford, CT
Hey All,

Just got a quote from a tree company near me for log length wood (mixed hardwood). They are offering a 20 yard dumpster full for $150 delivered. They quote is as 3 and 1/3 cords (or more) bases on the volume of a cord, 4x4x8=128 cubic feet=4.8 cubic yards. 20 yard dumpster=4.17 cords, but not packed tightly as it would be when split, so they quote 3 and 1/3 cord.

1. Do you believe their math on the volume of wood.

2. Good price? (for CT)

I think the math depends on the length of the logs, but it should be in the ballpark?
As for the price, around here a triax load of logs is $7-800 yielding about 7 cords, so $150 for 3+ cords is good!

Hey All,

Just got a quote from a tree company near me for log length wood (mixed hardwood). They are offering a 20 yard dumpster full for $150 delivered. They quote is as 3 and 1/3 cords (or more) bases on the volume of a cord, 4x4x8=128 cubic feet=4.8 cubic yards. 20 yard dumpster=4.17 cords, but not packed tightly as it would be when split, so they quote 3 and 1/3 cord.

1. Do you believe their math on the volume of wood.

2. Good price? (for CT)
Is it just me? How could you need to buy wood?

Is it just me? How could you need to buy wood?

This would be for the 2013-14 season. New to wood burning, don't have a pick-up (yet). Wife doesn't want me scrounging with her new Outback, and not gonna get much in the trunk of my Accord, so I will be buying some already split for 2012-13 and log length for the following year.

Hardwood cut/split/delivered goes for $200-$275 a cord around me. So assuming the dumpster is packed decently, looks like this tree service is offering log length for ~$50 a cord, which should save me ~$600, looks like that will pay for a new saw...!!

This would be for the 2013-14 season. New to wood burning, don't have a pick-up (yet). Wife doesn't want me scrounging with her new Outback, and not gonna get much in the trunk of my Accord, so I will be buying some already split for 2012-13 and log length for the following year.

Hardwood cut/split/delivered goes for $200-$275 a cord around me. So assuming the dumpster is packed decently, looks like this tree service is offering log length for ~$50 a cord, which should save me ~$600, looks like that will pay for a new saw...!!
I apologize, I thought Zap made the original post.

gzecc, I was thinking you thought it was me. ::P Did you think I lost it! :eek:

zap

Number of cords is really gonna depend on what & how it's loaded. If its nice straight logs packed tight to the top or a jumble of limbs with big airspace.
You could swing by & take a look a the wood first?
Their volume estimate seems reasonable & if you need to buy then it's tough getting a better price than that.

Number of cords is really gonna depend on what & how it's loaded. If its nice straight logs packed tight to the top or a jumble of limbs with big airspace.
You could swing by & take a look a the wood first?
Their volume estimate seems reasonable & if you need to buy then it's tough getting a better price than that.

The more I think about it, even if its poorly packed, and I got say only 2 cords out of it, that's still only $75 a cord. This guy doesn't process firewood, he just keeps a couple dumpsters outside the shop and sells them throughout the year.

gzecc, I was thinking you thought it was me. ::P Did you think I lost it! :eek:

zap
I was thinking it was you. I don't know why, guess I looked too quickly.

If it were me, I would be calling them up and say "I'll take two".

If it were me, I would be calling them up and say "I'll take two".

+1
That's less than $50/cord, many times that's cheaper than free wood ;)
& you have the fun of cutting & splitting & stacking. Save money on a Gym membership.

You don't have a way to haul wood now, how much per cord does delivered cut fire wood cost in our area?

Reactions: Realstone
At that price you can't go wrong. You don't have to load and unload before working up your firewood. No branches to mess with is another bonus. Go for it.

Not sure about you guys, but $50/cord delivered sounds better than free I have to pick up. Factor in the gas, time, energy and wear and tear on your vehicle and equipment. Did I mention your time?

Sounds ideal - For me the worst part of getting my supply is the hauling. I have a trailer, but not a truck, & love to cut split & stack. Also, that price is phenomenal even if it is a bit short of what they quote. I would jump on it!

Well, I told them I would take it, They said there was a slim chance they could drop it off tonight, more likely tomorrow, I left a check in the mail box for them. Had to go to my daughters pre-school graduation tonight...just got home, they dropped it off while I was gone.

Now, let me explain a bit further, although I had not seen the wood, but I did meet one of the guys, had him out to quote taking down an oak on my property that I can't do myself. Seemed a little expensive, so I probably won't go with them, but I talked to him about the log length while here. Specifically asking if he thought he could get around back or have to drop it in the driveway, etc. We concluded best to just drop it in the driveway, which is ok with me. I said "I don't want 4ft diameter logs, I don't have a saw big enough to take care of them". He replied, "we rarely get really big trees like that, almost all of our take downs are like what you have here in your property". Sounds good, the biggest trees I have are ~24" diameter trunks, like the one I was looking to have taken down.

What's in my driveway right now you ask....looks like the entire load was a single tree, oak, with a base 45" in diameter.....not terribly happy...

Well, I told them I would take it, They said there was a slim chance they could drop it off tonight, more likely tomorrow, I left a check in the mail box for them. Had to go to my daughters pre-school graduation tonight...just got home, they dropped it off while I was gone.

Now, let me explain a bit further, although I had not seen the wood, but I did meet one of the guys, had him out to quote taking down an oak on my property that I can't do myself. Seemed a little expensive, so I probably won't go with them, but I talked to him about the log length while here. Specifically asking if he thought he could get around back or have to drop it in the driveway, etc. We concluded best to just drop it in the driveway, which is ok with me. I said "I don't want 4ft diameter logs, I don't have a saw big enough to take care of them". He replied, "we rarely get really big trees like that, almost all of our take downs are like what you have here in your property". Sounds good, the biggest trees I have are ~24" diameter trunks, like the one I was looking to have taken down.

What's in my driveway right now you ask....looks like the entire load was a single tree, oak, with a base 45" in diameter.....not terribly happy...[/quote

Take a picture

Most folks that buy wood are not really satisfied with what they get.

Wow sorry to hear that. That sucks that they missed lead you.
This whole wood burning thing is a huge learning process.
You could call and complain, tell them to come pick it up and give you more manageable pieces but I doubt they will

Looks like you"ll have to rent a saw with a 28 or 30 inch bar.
Let me tell you those are going to be some stupid heavy rounds I know I have 9 cord of oak c/s/s and most of it came from logs that were 24 inch diameters

I'm coming up to branford on sat looks like Oxford isn't to far. I'd love to come and play but I don't think I"ll be able get away sorry bro.

Keep us posted on your progress.

Remember pictures, lots of pictures

looks like the entire load was a single tree, oak, with a base 45" in diameter.....not terribly happy...

Last spring I got a grapple load with lots of big oak in it and ended up loving it. I like having little bark. I'm in my 30s. I have a 32" bar. I have a 30 ton splitter. If I were old, only had a little saw, or was splitting by hand I'd be annoyed by it. Perhaps this is the justification you needed to spend that $600 on the bigger saw? :)

Reactions: DexterDay
I slept on it, took another look, the wood didn't get any smaller overnight. Is there any reason to think they will come out and pick it back up if I call up ? I am most annoyed by the fact that this guy stood in my driveway and told me that there would not be any really big wood.

Anyway, I was planning getting a new bigger saw, and was debating whether to rent our buy a splitter....will start a new thread over in the "Gear" section...

https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/new-saw-and-splitter.87520/

That wood was cheap... and it's primo stuff. You could rent a big saw, and a splitter and STILL be into it for good money. It's oak.. so it's a long term proposition.

I MIGHT call him and say.. Jeez.. it's great wood but kinda big, compared to what we talked about. Can I get another load of something smaller? Or maybe offer to pay him to buck it up for ya. I wouldn't burn the bridge. Not at that price. I'd be inclined to suck it up and hope for the next load being easier.

JP

Reactions: Realstone
wouldn't burn the bridge. Not at that price. I'd be inclined to suck it up and hope for the next load being easier.

JP

That was my thought as well...

Status
Not open for further replies.