Log roller

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

greythorn3

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Oct 8, 2007
Alaska
wheelordie.com
It would have alot to do with the content of the ink that is used, and I would never dare burn any shiny paper print. Personally I think there is other post consumer products made from recycled paper, that I dont think they need to be burned up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFSVtJbpHF8&feature=related

Err, no matter how tightly you clump those leaves together, you're going to get a lot of smokey, flying ash. Those are not fun. Same with the paper, especially if you shred it first. Doesn't seem like the best idea. :\

I understand the intent of it. Finding an Alternative to the Alternative, but in both cases I dont see an overwhelming benefit to just using either as fuel sources. I think they should both be recycled or composed.

When I was a kid my grandmother had a neighbor that rolled newspaper logs. She rolled them and put them in coffee cans and soaked them in a tub full of water, then let them dry out.

I do not know that I would use them in a stove but they sure worked well in a fireplace. Soaking them gave them great cohesion. I think that just wrapping them would allow for a great deal of fly away as noted in a previous post.

Rolling up newspapers was a small hit back in the 70s, and, well, it's still a sad excuse for heating your house. As others have said, it creates alot of mess in and out of the house. And not particularly environmentally friendly either, I would think, due to the excessive smoke and particulate matter.

We use the New York Law Journal about a dozen times a year. Does the trick to make a flame but that is about it.

At least this means the L.A. Daily News is not totally useless.

Peace,
- Sequoia

Wonder how many btu's is in a cord of newspaper.
But, maybe all the political crap adds some extra heat to it

Birdman1 said:
Wonder how many btu's is in a cord of newspaper.
But, maybe all the political crap adds some extra heat to it

might as well skip the middle man and burn the politicians in the wood stove...

Also many to today's newspapers use a lot of colored ink. Not good to burn in stove.

Backwoods Savage said:
Also many to today's newspapers use a lot of colored ink. Not good to burn in stove.

Actually ink is made from coal tar, methyl alcohol, and "resins", which is what you're burning already.

Toner, as in what's at the office, is made from plastic.

Weirdly enough I just had this conversation with the design guys at work - only it was "Why does the toner not print colors correctly?"

Your useless fact of the day is brought to you by the letters H and P, makers of fine printing products...

When I saw the title, I was thinking cant hook. Save the newspaper for recycling or for the bird cage. Newspaper has so much recycled content and clay fillers that it hardly burns. Not even good for fire starter any more.

A lot of newspaper ink is supposedly now soy-based and should be safe to burn if it is actually safe to recycle in compost or as use as a weed barrier in the garden.
Glosy colored ads are something else.

Remember doing the newspaper rolling, soaking, and drying and burning in the fireplace in the 60 / 70ies. It looked pretty , but I don't recall a lot of heat. Went back to using newspaper tied in knots for firestarters and real wood logs.

tiber said:
Backwoods Savage said:

Actually ink is made from coal tar, methyl alcohol, and "resins", which is what you're burning already.
The company I work for has a huge biomass boiler and while there are a lot of things we are allowed to burn, printed paper is not one of them.

If the new inks are soy based maybe they should be eaten not burned ! I think I'll soak some in beer and throw it on the grill.

I can't remember where, but I saw one of these newspaper log rollers that advertised "Save trees and help the environment!!"???

Dang it, i new there had to be a reason I can never find a Penny Saver at the darned grocery store anymore. Now if they could find a clean safe way to burn those plastic shopping bags they might be on to something.

What works for me is to set a bunch of newspaper sections flat on the ashes and build a fire on top of it. By the time the fire has burned down, there is no trace of the newspaper. It helps get the fire started but burns slowly, steadily, and completely. It's so easy and has so little downside that I'm amazed that everyone doesn't do it.

And burning the local paper in this way is a lot more pleasant than READING the thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.