1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Log Sled...

Post in 'The Gear' started by KenLockett, May 28, 2013.

1. KenLockett

KenLockett Member

Loc:
    Eastern Upstate NY
    Has anyone built a log sled out of lumber that a quad can pull? If so do you have a set of instructions, plans, or pictures?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. NE WOOD BURNER

NE WOOD BURNER Minister of Fire

well I just hitch them with a chain and pull them. tongs may work well also. tough part with a wheeler is to get the front elevated a bit. I just short chain it and let her eat(8,12, or 16 feet). nieghor bought the wheeled skid from northern he is having fun with it.
    now if your pulling in the winter an old car tuck hood works well and cheap.
  3. KenLockett

KenLockett Member

Loc:
    Eastern Upstate NY

Yeah, that is how I have been doing it but am trying to get the end of the log where chain/rope is connected up off the ground as when I hit obstacle or if the log digs in it it tough on wheeler. Figured with a small skid the tip of the log at least would be off the ground and could 'tie down' to the skid and the wheeler could pull the small skid. Figured a 'sleigh' shaped small skid would work.
  4. Jack Fate

Jack Fate Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Northwest Ohio
    some of the guys here built what your askin' mabe they will chime in soon. seems to me it was like a pallet with 45 cut on front

cheers
  5. bogydave

bogydave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    So Cent ALASKA
  6. NE WOOD BURNER

NE WOOD BURNER Minister of Fire

on my old wheeler I had a 2" reciever. I used a hitch that was intended to lower hitch hieght of my truck and put it in upside down. I believe it was about 1 foot drop.

So it gave a little more elevation. Pump up the back tires adds alot with wieght of the rider. The log arch at northern I think can be used without the rear portion and gives you plenty of elevation. Seems like a great idea. put the stress on the arch and not on the wheeler. probably can build cheap with scrap iron. I think my nieghbor paid 400 bucks for his.
  7. Joful

Joful Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Philadelphia
    Compact utility tractor + drawbar on 3-point hitch makes a great skidder. Lower 3-pt, short chain end of log to drawbar, lift 3-pt, drive.

With an ATV, I'd be looking to build a log arch to do the same.
    Jack Fate likes this.
  8. MasterMech

MasterMech Guest