Log Splitter Fun

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BlankBlankBlank

Minister of Fire
Oct 12, 2011
PA
Thought I finished splitting all my maple this morning and then I found a large round this afternoon tucked away. Thought I would just enjoy this.

Attachments

• Splitting Maple 1.jpg
    Splitting Maple 1.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 490
Good lord.

I've stood on more than one of those facing the other guy with an axe alternating blows. You are smarter.

pen

All big rounds kinda go like that. Miss the foot and its a penalty shot!

pen said:
Good lord.

I've stood on more than one of those facing the other guy with an axe alternating blows. You are smarter.

pen

Well not sure how much smarter. Here I have this new splitter that does the horizontal and vertical splitting. Well, as smart as I am, I still find myself heaving chunks into the horizontal postion to split. I must say that I really prefer splitting horizontally. I was thinking about that today. My work has me sedentary for much of my day. I really don't want to sit when I'm working around the house. But splitting vertically forces me to sit down.

By the way, I split this near the end of my day when I was getting a little tired, so sitting down was welcome.

Another BWS convert. :)
Gotta get a milk crate to sit on. LOL :lol:
It does look like fun to split one that big.

The first pic that round looks like the rocks in my garden.

What one might use to stop a splitter from blowing away in a hurricane.

Now that would have been a tough nut to crack.

bogydave said:

:lol: Another convert? Maybe. Sedentary or not, why work harder than is necessary? Vertical is the way to go.

bogydave said:

Next thing I'll be mounting a beer bottle holder on that milk crate and a smaller milk crate for resting my legs on. Wait I'll need some back support and a soft comfy pillow for my neck. Should also probably put in a soft cushion for my tender backside. LOL. Wonder whether I could pick up a cheap Lazy Boy recliner off of CL?? Now that would be the ticket. Then I'd need someone to move the logs into place.

Backwoods Savage said:
bogydave said:

:lol: Another convert? Maybe. Sedentary or not, why work harder than is necessary? Vertical is the way to go.

Well, at least I'm not sure when the splitting maul will ever get used again.

Status
Not open for further replies.