log splitter gas or electric

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What's the speed of the ram like in comparing gas vs electric splitters?

When comparing log splitters, points to remember is that tonnage is determined by the bore size of the cylinder x the pressure of the pump. Cycle times are determined by pump gallons per minute at rated RPM's. The power source , gas or electric, has little to no effect on tonnage or cycle times as long as they are matched to the pumps required horsepower and RPM's.

Jags said:
Chris - sorry if my post was misleading. It was simply to refute the idea that running an electric splitter for a few hours was going to raise the electric bill by such a large sum of bucks.

Electric splitters have their place, not at my place :) , but I am sure somewhere. The Ramsplitter looks like a capable machine, but depending on a persons splitting logistics, will not be useful in many situations. The same can be said of a gasser (garage use, night time use, etc.).

Well, you were pointing out the exaggeration and I was backing it up with science. I tend to do that a lot. There seemed to be a debate on energy cost and your post was just the easiest to quote. Not pickin' on 'ya or anything, Jags!

I don't want to get too much more defensive in the gas vs. electric debate. I made my decision and am happy with the results. I realise that not everyone will agree with me; I just point out the differences and move on. The big misconception is on power/usability: I think the Ram will hold its own against MOST gas splitters out there.

Tfin: the Ram has a pump and cylinder much like the ones on the gas splitters. IIRC, mine will stroke 24" in about 9 seconds unloaded and split an 18" piece of maple in less than 15 seconds, unless it's really knotted.

Chris

i will say if you take off the electric motor on the ramsplitter and put a gas engine in its place, it looks like a gas splitter :wow:

johnnywarm said:
i will say if you take off the electric motor on the ramsplitter and put a gas engine in its place, it looks like a gas splitter :wow:

NOW you're catching on... :coolsmile:

Chris

I'm not sure if anybody said this already, but I'll go so far as to say that I'd only consider a gas splitter that tilts horizontal/vertical. I don't own one and rent one once/twice a year. I wind up using the splitter only on really big rounds and use the splitter exclusively in it's vertical position. Seems pointless to lift a round up and split - if they are small/light enough to lift up and handle, then you may as well split them by hand. Anybody else feel this way?

timfromohio said:
Anybody else feel this way?

No! I don't crawl around well. I bring the log to me via a log lifter. More than one way to skin a cat.

Attachments

• logsplitter 002small2.jpg
    logsplitter 002small2.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 372
timfromohio said:
I'm not sure if anybody said this already, but I'll go so far as to say that I'd only consider a gas splitter that tilts horizontal/vertical. I don't own one and rent one once/twice a year. I wind up using the splitter only on really big rounds and use the splitter exclusively in it's vertical position. Seems pointless to lift a round up and split - if they are small/light enough to lift up and handle, then you may as well split them by hand. Anybody else feel this way?

I agree. I use the vertical position all the time. For me, I have better control of what size split I want and I don't see myself lifting a huge round on my splitter. Back hurts due to just thinking abouit lifting..

I used to split everything by hand, but my elbow has been acting up and the Dr. has told me to give up the sledge and the monster maul...

I am awaiting delivery of a 30 ton gas splitter from Harbor Freight - It's gotten good reviews from others here and on Arboristsite, and appeared to be the best value and best designed machine I've seen on the market.

It's probably only about a 27-28 ton in reality, it has a 5" cylinder, which at 3,000psi gives 29.4 tons, and most splitters actually run less than that for pressure.

I mostly split at home, so I considered the electric, and decided against it for the following reasons -

1. The only large (15 Ton plus) splitter source I could find was Ram-splitter - They make gas and electric versions of the same models, and in every case the gas version was LESS than the electric. Earlier in the thread someone was posting prices on electric motors, which I believe were from a discount source - STILL much higher just for the motor than a bare gas engine costs - considering that everything else on a splitter stays the same regardless of how it's powered, you end up paying more for the electric.

2. The power requirements of even the cheap splitters are quite high, and a good splitter would pretty much need it's own circuit (or use one for another high power appliance, like a welder or a dryer) PLUS the extension cord to get out to the wood pile - If it's a couple hundred feet, we are probably talking 8 or 10 guage wire, possibly larger, to handle the current, and these days that is NOT cheap...

3. I don't see that much advantage to the lower noise of an electric - I split during daylight, outdoors, and a small gas engine doesn't make enough noise to bother the neighbors...

4. The electricity may be cheaper than gas, but not that much and I can buy an awful lot of gas for what the cost difference in the splitter would be.

5. I may want to take it to the woods some time....

As it turns out, the HF splitter was $999 for the 20 ton model, and $1299 for the 30 ton - same unit except for a bigger engine, pump and cylinder... I figured the difference was worth it for the extra power.

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.