Log Splitter Hydro Fluid Leak

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ColdNorCal

Feeling the Heat
Mar 6, 2018
Newcastle, Ca.
Noticed a slight leak when using the splitter in vertical mode. It seemed to take several minutes for a drop to occur. I tightened up the fitting, circled in red, and used the splitter for another 30 mins. I checked the fitting again and it s still weeping, very slight leak. It takes a 7/8 inch wrench and I tightened it up pretty good. Nothing crazy but plenty snug. After using it the second time I gave it another quarter to 1/2 a turn. Using a 13" long wrench and the amount of force applied I would think it should have stopped leaking.

Do these compression fittings typically require a lot of force to tighten?

This is a DHT 25 ton bought from Lowes. It is still under warranty but DHT is no longer in business. Should I call Lowes first before I possibly break something? Or lay into it a bit more...?

btw- that solid line that parallels the ram and beam was actually rubbing on the beam. I was able to move it a 1/2" from the beam before tightening the leaking fitting . Im thinking that vibration and the line rubbing against the beam could have caused the line to move and loosen the fitting causing the leak.

Leak.jpg

It looks to me like it is a 37 degree flare fitting known as JIC . These are normally very good sealing fittings that should only take a (reasonable pull for the wrench size)to tighten properly. It is usually more of a problem (especially with steel tube) that these fittings leak due to over tightening. Proper tightening is as follows: tighten finger tight or until you can tell the nut is against the seat, make a mark on the nut and tighten proper number of flats for size of fitting. In this case (going by size of wrench used , fittings size is -08 ). You should tighten 1 1/4 to 1 3/4 flats.
Another problem that can happen to steel tube either by over tightening or vibration is cracking in the flare or at the back of the flare . Spin the nut loose and check for cracks where the flare starts from the straight tube.

Reactions: ColdNorCal
Used the splitter for about 2 hours today and no leak or weeping. Will consider the suggestions but will call on Lowes first if it happens again while under warranty.

Appreciate the help!