Log splitter problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Matt78

Burning Hunk
Jan 28, 2015
New Washington , Ohio
I have a 20 ton MTD log splitter. The hydrolic control valve seems to be not working properly. When feeding forward and letting go of the handle. Normally it should stop by itself. I have to push it up to neutral. And when it's in auto return and reaches the end of its stroke. It sometimes pops past neutral and goes into forward. Is there any adjustment that can be made? Or just replace the valve? It's like the picture below.

hqdefault.jpg

Lilkely wear and tear in the valve. I am not good at explaining this but if you take valve apart there is a cage like part that will wear it is moved up and down the bore by the handle assembly sometimes rotating it 180 degees will correct the problem or some of the "O"rings in the assembly might be bad. That is a basic splitter valve, used to be about $80, haven't looked lately might be a c note now. Last one I had get to that point I just replaced with a brand name unit si I knew I could get parts down the line Have you contacted MTD yet? if Likely be Wed. before you can.

Lilkely wear and tear in the valve. I am not good at explaining this but if you take valve apart there is a cage like part that will wear it is moved up and down the bore by the handle assembly sometimes rotating it 180 degees will correct the problem or some of the "O"rings in the assembly might be bad. That is a basic splitter valve, used to be about $80, haven't looked lately might be a c note now. Last one I had get to that point I just replaced with a brand name unit si I knew I could get parts down the line Have you contacted MTD yet? if Likely be Wed. before you can.

Thanks for the reply. I might give that a try after I'm done making wood this winter. It's more annoying than anything.

That appears to be an Energy control valve with a broken part in the detent area. I had one 10 years ago that did the same thing. There was a short stud with a nut that snapped off. When removing the detent cover be vary careful because there are several steel balls and a spring under tension.
A complete valve can often be found online for 50-70 dollars.

http://www.energymfg.com/online-catalog/log-splitter-valve-accessories.html

Thanks for the replys. I couldn' take it and had to tear it apart this afternoon. It was a broken spring. A buddy of mine has an assortment of springs. So I'll see off he has something that will work. I got the detent assembly put back together. So hopefully I can find a spring and get it back to working.20171224_171803.jpg 20171224_171751.jpg

Attachments

• 20171224_171803.jpg
    20171224_171803.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 144
Reactions: TreePointer
I can't really tell the size but via the photo it sure looks like a brake shoe retaining spring to me.

Sounds about right. There are several sizes depending on the make. I'd stop in to an autopart store and check their help section.

by pass/ unload section of Valve? due to seeing that little steel ball there.

Found a spring at McMaster. Had to buy three, but only about $12. Log splitter is back in service! Have an extra spring if someone has the same issue

Great! I got several bushings from them one time and it worked out for me perfectly.

If you get the notion, please post the valve model and McMasters' # for future reference if you get the chance. I'm glad you are back in business.