Log Splitter Retracting?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Frank625

Burning Hunk
I have an older home made log splitter and it works pretty good. The only issue I have with it is when I am done splitting the log and pull the lever back to the position to retract the ram it doesn't always stay there. If I am real gentle and slow taking my hand off the lever it stays. When the piston retracts back in all the way the lever/valve pops back to the neutral position. I just can't always get it to stay back. Could it be the linkage, it seems like it just should be quicker and easier to get it to stay back?

2014-09-01 13_51_53.jpg

I dunno, get yourself a bungee strap on it, lol.

Reactions: Frank625
you can adjust the spring tension on the detent. it will be to the rear of the valve on the left side . loosen the jam nut & turn it in until you like it. if that don't work there is one more thing you can do, but try that first. Hope this helps.

Reactions: Frank625 and Jags
Yeah - what bioman said. The return detent is adjustable. And if it is too wore out for adjustment, I believe you can turn the spool 180 degrees.

Reactions: Frank625
OK thanks guys I will look at it.

Status
Not open for further replies.