1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Log Splitter Suggestions

Post in 'The Gear' started by Deep Fryer, Apr 5, 2013.

1. missedbass

missedbass Member

Loc:
    long island
    You could also check lowes, sometimes they will have troybuilts that have come back and they sell them at a discount. By me on the south shore the oak has been cleaned up.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Pallet Pete

Pallet Pete Guest

Just to add most small engines today are good quality my snowblower has a B&S my lawn mower a B&S my splitter Subaru and my old mower a Honda all made very well and all fire up with one or two pulls max. Don't let the brand motor sway you just the CC or HP ratings. In fact more than a few member have Harbor Freight predator motors too and love them.

Pete
  3. Deep Fryer

Deep Fryer Member

Loc:
    East Coast NY
    Thanks for all the replies guys, I appreciate it. Did make it out to Lowes & they had the troys in stock for $1,399.00. The more I look around the more they all seem to be in the same ball park, price wise, regardless of seller. I hope to get something this weekend coming up (my friend has a trailer hitch, my wagon unfortunately does not), got to start splitting asap.

Pete thats a heck of a stack of wood!

Hi missedbass,
    I've noticed that the south shore is much cleaner wood wise then the north shore ;)
  4. missedbass

missedbass Member

Loc:
    long island
    Which ever one you buy, make sure it has a fuel valve and use it because the fuel around here will play havoc with the engine. Good luck with your purchase.
  5. mellow

mellow Resident Stove Connoisseur

Loc:
    Salisbury, MD
    Do not tow that Troy bilt down the road! Put it in a trailer/truck bed and take it to your final destination. It is not setup for highway/road travel.
  6. NCFord

NCFord Member

Loc:
    central NC
    Really? I tow mine all over. I think it's fine. I don't recomend a long haul, as they have small tires and highway speeds may not be good, but around town it's fine.
  7. nate379

nate379 Guest

Same, just I keep it no faster than 45-50 and go carefull over potholes/bumps.

8. tekguy

tekguy Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    west mass
    ditto, i keep the huskee to 35 or so though and dont go to far with it
  9. mellow

mellow Resident Stove Connoisseur

Loc:
    Salisbury, MD
    To each their own, mine won't go any roads behind a vehicle, one bump hitting the hydraulic tank (lowest point on the machine) that the wheels are connected to is gonna cost some money to fix.